We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So I found a place to stay, now what? (transfer & festivals)

Which Cala'n Bosch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
So I found a place to stay, now what? (transfer & festivals)

My wife and I will be visiting Minorca from Sept 7-10 as part of our honeymoon. I've decided (but not yet booked) a room at the Binigaus Vell just south of Es Migjorn Gran.

Here are some questions:

1. There is only one review on this hotel on TA - has anyone heard anything about it? I read that it just opened in May. I'm quite keen on it, but wanted to make sure before I paid anything.

2. We plan to rent a car to explore some other parts of the island (prehistoric sites, citudella, mahon) and need to know what the most reliable booking agent is and what I should expect to pay for 3 days. Also, I'm assuming I should get the car at the airport rather than a taxi and car drop at the hotel.

3. I haven't been able to find much on Migjorn Gran. We'd like to dine away from the hotel one night, but have the option of walking home after dinner (no drinking and driving to be safe). Are there any restaurants in town there?

4. I believe the Festives Graces is taking place in Mahon during our stay. I've read/seen some things that make me believe it may not be a good idea for visitors to attend (rearing horses and the like), but my wife and I love getting a true sense of a culture we are visiting, so if you have any knowledge of the festival as it relates to tourists, please share.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! We're so excited to visit this amazing place.

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: So I found a place to stay, now what? (transfer & festivals)

Binigaus Vell - have no personal experience,but dont expect too many english voices if that is something that might worry you.

Eating out / no driving - you dont have much choice : Es Migjorn Gran(possibly Santo Tomas for a sunset cocktail etc, I think Binigaus Vell might minibus people to beach? )

Es Migjorn Gran is probably the town least touched by tourism on the island so it caters for it's residents. Given you will be 'fine dining' at Binigaus Vell? expect good value, menorcan tastes

Sorry I cannot offer more. Any yes car form airport to sav taxi fare will pay for at least big part of 1 day of car hire. Why an agent go Direct!

Edited: 20 August 2010, 09:22
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,197 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So I found a place to stay, now what? (transfer & festivals)

This enquiry really ought to be in the main Menorca or Santo Tomas forums to maximise the chance of replies however I am pleased to give my take on this very new country house hotel as my husband and I drove down to have a look at it in July ( we were staying in Santo Tomas) and can only say that it looked lovely.

The location is in the middle of the countryside just outside Es Migorn and as you will have gathered it is an old farmhouse that has been converted. The manager came out as soon as we arrived to ask if he could help and although he wasn't able to show us the rooms (they were fully booked) he explained that the ethos of the place was to provide tranquility in beautiful surroundings and it looked to me to do just that. He said that they can arrange riding, excursions etc tailored to suit the guest. I suspect that at least initially more spaniards are staying there than Brits ( very often a good sign) especially as the manager said that they were still trying to improve their place in the UK search engine "hits" on google etc.

Re eating in Es Migorn one evening , to be honest although you could walk into the town from the hotel in daylight it isn't that close and is on a rural unlit road - I certainly would not want to wander along the country lane in the pitch dark ( the surface is uneven and you are asking for a twisted ankle) but a taxi back would be easy enough. Es Migorn has several tapas bars and restaurants and I can personally recommend S'Engolidor ( Aka 58s) http://www.sengolidor.com/index_uk.htm (which is located closest to the hotel end of the town) and Restaurante Migorn ( Ca Na Pilar) http://www.migjorn-canapilar.es/ ( which does a very good lunchtime menu del dia albiet not cheap @ 20E) - there are others but I have not tried them. When you are driving around the island try stopping at Bar Vimpy in Ferrarias for lunchtime tapas (cheap and very good)

I have just readt the review on TA at tripadvisor.co.uk/…CHECK_RATES_CONT and if the food is as stated for an evening meal in the area 26E is very good value.

Re Fiestas, it looks as though this one is 8/9th or 6-9th depending on which site you look at of September. I found this old article from the Independent (still useful as these things do not change much from year to year) independent.co.uk/travel/europe/charge-and-d… plus another at farhan-ali-qadri.com/articles/articles.php… - it certainly looks worth doing. If you are worried about a fiesta in the capital being too frenetic what you need to appreciate is that during these things the streets are full of people ( and often the magnificent menorca stations) so you should always be aware of the potential for pickpockets anywhere busy (as you would in the UK) but the atmosphere at fiestas is happy not one of drunken roudiness ( except maybe a little OTT the last night). You could park in the residential streets of Mahon and walk into the centre but if you are worried about the amount of other cars that will be doing that too you could get a bus into Mahon from Es Migorn and take a taxi back

Finally if your wife fancies some menorcan sandals ( Varcas) the MIBO factory in Es Migorn has lots of choice

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,197 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So I found a place to stay, now what? (transfer & festivals)

Forgot to say that we use Owners Cars http://www.ownerscars.com/index.php?leng=eng who have an office in the airport (and a branch in Santo Tomas in case of any probs during your stay) they do not ask for deposits or prepayment on booking online - pay when you pick up 3 days in Sept in Ford KA or similar is around 86E. Another firm that has had good reviews is Poppy Cars

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So I found a place to stay, now what? (transfer & festivals)

Thanks! Not sure how this ended up in the CNB forum. Is it poor etiquitte to repost?

Either way, I have heard back from the owner and I think I will go ahead and book. I will certainly come back to report.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,197 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So I found a place to stay, now what? (transfer & festivals)

Sure you can repost but if you do I would include in a link to this original one so that anyone following it up can see what has already been said easily.

I hope that you have a lovely honeymoon. If by any horrible chance this hotel is booked up when you try to book ,do a "search in this forum" on the main forum and you should find some other recommendations - I know that RAFF has made some in the past. As time is getting tight I did a search and found these two but have no idea what they are like -the Biniarroca http://www.biniarroca.com/www/rooms.htm and Matchani Gran

Farmhouse Bed & Breakfast,Sant Climent, Menorca http://www.menorcacountryhouse.com./. There are apparently quite a few country house hotels dotted around ( there is also one near Ferrarias next to the Hort De San Patrici cheese establishment but I do not know its name)

I am sure that you will love the island - it has its over touristy bits but the majority of it is beautiful.Please report back on the forum in due course and write a review if you can spare the time - we are rather short of recommendations on this sort of niche accomodation

Edited: 20 August 2010, 17:14
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,197 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So I found a place to stay, now what? (transfer & festivals)

Sorry, I have just noticed a major typo in my first post - you get black STALLIONS at the fiestas ( magnificent animals) not stations ( there aren't any railway trains on the island ) ! If you want to see the horses outside of the fiesta situation drive out towards Cala Galdana to the equine centre at Son Martorellet www.sonmartorellet.com/en/who-we-are.php (where they hold the Somni dancing horses shows) - during the day time the place is usually very quiet and you can see the mares and foals in the paddocks and from the website you will see that you can go and watch them training the horses every Monday , Wednesday and Friday at 18.30pm. The Menorcan breed horse is an offically recognised breed and a bit of an obsession on the island.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: So I found a place to stay, now what? (transfer & festivals)

Quote MIB>>>>>>>>>Any yes car form airport to sav taxi fare will pay for at least big part of 1 day of car hire. Why an agent go Direct!<<<<<<<<<<

Agree car from airport will save considerable transfer costs, but using an agent is often cheaper than going direct. Take the Owners Cars suggestion as an example:

For your dates a 5 door Corsa is 97 EUR direct through Owners, or only 61 GBP (69 EUR at today's rate) when going through Holiday Autos who use Owners as their partner. I'd normally expect to pay the latter for that time of year.

JtheD

8. Re: So I found a place to stay, now what? (transfer & festivals)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2011, 06:57
Get answers to your questions about Cala'n Bosch
Recent Conversations