We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's happened to the Chinese restaurant 'Peking'???!!

Hampshire
Level Contributor
218 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
What's happened to the Chinese restaurant 'Peking'???!!

Is there anybody out there who knows Cala'n Bosch well who can tell me what's happened to the Chinese restaurant 'Peking' above the Britannia Bar please??? We have just been for our annual visit to this lovely resort and were really sad to find this restaurant closed up! We heard one rumour that said it had been closed for 'health and hygiene' reasons which I found very hard to believe as we, and lots friends, have eaten there many many times over the years with no problems. The people seemed lovely and we had even taken some presents out ready for their little girl. Hoping they've moved on for happy reasons...but would just love to know! Can anyone help???!!!

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's happened to the Chinese restaurant 'Peking'???!!

We ate there last Summer and it was poor. By far the worst meal of the week in Cala n Bosch. It was pretty quiet in there as well, so maybe the've moved on.

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What's happened to the Chinese restaurant 'Peking'???!!

I kind of think you really have to be missing it to want to eat chinese/india on Menorca because due to lack of competition they all tend to be pretty rubbish compared to uk.

One longtime one closed down in cala en porter - was truely awfull food- though I wish people well as it cannot be an easy life

Edited: 07 September 2011, 21:07
Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What's happened to the Chinese restaurant 'Peking'???!!

I will never understand the idea of eating out at a Chinese (or Indian for that matter) resto' when spanish cuisine has so much to offer. That said SMOGMEISTER does rave about the one in Son Parc...............

JtheD

4. Re: What's happened to the Chinese restaurant 'Peking'???!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2011, 16:51
Hampshire
Level Contributor
218 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's happened to the Chinese restaurant 'Peking'???!!

Thanks all for your posts.....

I understand that eating Chinese in Menorca may not be to everyone's taste!

It's our family tradition...weird I know....eating once in a Chinese restaurant wherever we go...started as a joke when kids were little and bickering about where to eat.....and we've just carried it on for fun! Each to their own!

Having visited China this year...and being a bit wiser...I now understand why Chinese restaurants have sprung up all over the world. It's one of the few ways they can escape from an otherwise very hard existance.. I would probably do the same in their shoes!

Now, now, Jon the Dog...don't get tetchy...especially as I've been singing your (+ your dad's) praises in the China forum! I suggested to some of the 'experts' there that they should take a leaf out of your book and give good, helpful advice graciously and not put people down!! You take your life in your hands asking a question in the China forum!

Anyway as I say ..thanks....it wasn't the Chinese food we were missing... just the people and their dear little girl. Just hoped they had moved for happy reasons and thought someone local might know! Hey ho!

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's happened to the Chinese restaurant 'Peking'???!!

I remember the cute little kid, and the people were nice, but the food wasn't.

We usually have a chinese on one evening of a weeks holiday. I don't see whats strange about that. From what i remember, most of the restaurants in Cala 'n Bosch weren't big on Spanish cuisene anyway, and tended to offer a wide range of items popular with their clientele.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What's happened to the Chinese restaurant 'Peking'???!!

Apologies. Have tried to remove that post several times now but it won't go away. Self opinion often posted in haste.

JtheD

Hampshire
Level Contributor
218 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's happened to the Chinese restaurant 'Peking'???!!

No worries Jon-the-dog! You are entitled to your opinion! As I said before your advice and info on Menorca is good AND graciously given...and the witty retorts between you and Dog Dad very entertaining! I'm just an old softee....(we always found the food ok but put up with sometimes slow service and the occasional dish not piping hot because we liked the little girl... the people...and the view!)...and I was just hoping someone could tell me they had moved on to a better life!

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's happened to the Chinese restaurant 'Peking'???!!

We also went to the restaurant last year and went to go back this year and were very sad also to find that the lovely couple and their little girl (ellie) were no longer there.My wife and small daughter really enjoyed being around this friendly family.Although the food was not the best chinese cuisine i have eaten,the welcome we were given was one of the best we have experienced while on holiday.Sometimes it's not just about the food!

Edited: 21 September 2011, 21:40
Hampshire
Level Contributor
218 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's happened to the Chinese restaurant 'Peking'???!!

Thanks Larryman....someone else out there with a heart! We asked where the little girl had suddenly appeared from last year and they told us they had left her back in China with her grandmother when they moved to Menorca, and only managed to bring her over then. By the way they wrote her name down for us to send photos over and it was spelt Ai Lin, sounded the same tho! Oh well wherever she is I hope she's happy! We missed them all!

Get answers to your questions about Cala'n Bosch
Recent Conversations