We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hospitals + Doctors

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Hospitals + Doctors

Hi

We are travelling with an infant to Cala n Bosch next week and hopefully I'll never need this information but I'd like to be prepared. Can anyone tell me the name of the nearest a+e hospital? Also any doctors?

Many thanks

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hospitals + Doctors

Hi, Can't give you any specifics in that area (Cuitadella maybe), but from past experience always have your Euro Health Card on your person.

I had a minor wake boarding accident 2 years ago and needed medical treatment. If I hadn't had my health card (which superseded the E111) on me it would have been very costly. However I did, and it cost me nothing. Thumbs up to the EU (for a change)

JtheD

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,059 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hospitals + Doctors

All of what Jon says is good advice but I am sure that your little one will be fine so long as you use bottled water to avoid tummy upsets ( the local stuff is safe but tastes horrible) and keep him or her out of the sun.

The main hospital is in Mahon but I think that there is a clinic of some sort in Cuitadella. If you have any type of emergency the reception of your hotel will know who to call. Try doing a bit of internet searching to reassure yourself ( I found www.apartmentinmenorca.co.uk/index.php… for example)

All the resorts have a doctor (although these are private so you need your travel insurance to cover those costs) , you will find the pharmasists very helpful and you can get stuff over the counter that you can't here which is worth knowing before you head for the private doctor and pay €50 odd euros to walk through the door only to be told to get some €10 medicine from the chemist!

You may find that RAFF will post up on this to reassure you - she lives on the island AND has young children so she will absolutely be able to tell you what services are like

Menorca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Menorca
Level Contributor
645 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hospitals + Doctors

DR´s are excellent here, the main private clinic/hospital in Ciutadella (closest to you) all the staff speak English, here is a number for you 900 711 711, you can ring them for a DR or directions to the clinic.

Menorcareg and JTDOG are quite right, stick to bottled water, lots of sun cream, shade and your health card AND good insurance are ESSENTIAL.

Raff

Warrington, Cheshire
Level Contributor
522 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hospitals + Doctors

A friend of mine was taken ill last August whilst on holiday in Cala n Forcat with kidney problems and taken to the hospital mentioned above. He was kept in for 3 days and received excellent treatment and made a full recovery.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,059 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hospitals + Doctors

There you go - just remember it isn't the third world AND the islanders are used to lots of nonspanish speakers so you will not be left without a medic who understands English in the unlikely event of one of you becoming ill. If you are really worried that the baby might get an upset tummy due to excessive heat ( ie basically from becoming dehydrated) take some dehydration salt sachets and a bottle of Calpol as a comfort blanket. - I am sure you will not need to use them. If the outside of Mahon hospital was anything to go on when we drove past it last year Menorcan hospitals are a sight more up to date and modern than most of ours!

A word of advice re milk assuming your baby is not on formula or breastfed :- The local milk is much richer than we get over here so your baby might not be too keen on the full fat version . You can buy something like Cravendale in the supermarkets or semi skimmed versions of the local milk (although that too is much creamier than ours) .

Heywood, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hospitals + Doctors

Hi there is a doctor and pharmacy just up the road in Cala Blanca i can't comment on the doctor but have used the pharmacy which was well stocked and gave good advice

Oban, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hospitals + Doctors

Hi, we are just back from Cala n Bosch & hubby did his usual & got a really bad mosquito bite.He went to the pharmacy down at the marina who decided he needed to see a doc & he was just next door! Didn't need to wait for appointment & very good.Cost 75euro mind you, but there were a few people with kids waiting to be seen as well (mostly upset tummy from too much sun).At least you know there is one near at hand, but as said before,bottled water, sun hat, sun cream & shade & no problems.Hope you have a good holiday:)

8. Re: Hospitals + Doctors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Cala'n Bosch
Recent Conversations