We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions re getting about from holiday village

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
questions re getting about from holiday village

Hi

Hubby and I are coming in sept with our three year old. We are a bit anti organised trips as always feel they are over priced and we prefer to be more independent and do things on our time scale!

As such where can we get to on foot (prob with buggy) and by bus? What sort of prices are bus trips? And is there anywhere near to hotel to hire car and whats the likely cost for a couple of days for something like a fiesta?

Any advice, weblinks etc must appreciated

Thanks

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,410 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: questions re getting about from holiday village

There are Top Questions on the main island forum page which cover all of these topics. You will find places to hire cars in the resort and also boat trips running from the marina .If you are on a package your rep is bound to offer excursions but as you say these do tend to be over priced plus I always dislike that feeling of being herded around like cattle!

Re excursions specifically to Fiestas, the main one in Ciutadella is San Juan which is in June but there are others dotted throughout the year across the island ( see menorca-live.com/fiesta-holiday-calendar/men… for dates ). I would however say that even if an excursion to a fiesta is laid on, these tend to take you to the evening festivities and return very late and IMHO a Spanish fiesta in full flow is NOT a good place to be with a small child in a buggy anyway - there will be heaving pomada fuelled crowds, possibly fireworks going off , rearing horses and the fact that the locals do not themselves take small children to them should say it all - at worst it is potentially dangerous and at best just unpleasant for the child concerned. The issue of small children and fiestas is covered at length in tripadvisor.co.uk/…46741325

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: questions re getting about from holiday village

Thanks for your reply

Sorry I was not clear, I was enquiring about pricea of a car similar for a ford fiesta. We have no plans to go to any fiestas!

Shall look into the things you mention, thanks

manchester
Level Contributor
586 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: questions re getting about from holiday village

You can go easilly by local bus to cuitadella 1euro 80 cents last september from there you can get connections all over the island.

The bus service on the island is excellent, the buses are very clean and are air conditioned.

Easy to get on and off with a buggy.

May i add cuitadella is very nice to visit in the day or evening.

Have i great time on this lovely island.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,410 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: questions re getting about from holiday village

Whoops - silly me, re-reading your post I see that you were talking cars not local festivals !

I do not stay in this resort so am not up to speed on the best local firms but Owners Cars have an office there which you can prebook online with ( no depost or cancellation fees ) see http://www.ownerscars.com/?leng=eng

Co. Meath
Level Contributor
35 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: questions re getting about from holiday village

Hi

As previously mentioned, there are two boat trips from CNB, which are great fun. Also, lots of restaurants around the marina, and lovely to just sit in Toms bar and watch the world go by, there are two male singers there at the band stand, and the small children dance there.

You will love Menorca, its such a laid back and beautiful island.

Cuitadella is a lovely town, lots to see there too.

Enjoy yourselves, We go on 20th July for two weeks to a villa.

Rosie

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: questions re getting about from holiday village

Thank you for your replies

Could you tell me a bit more about the two Boat trips, the cost and which of the two is better?

Looked at car hire and the owners site looks reasonable. Am i able to book with them after I arrive as I won't know which days we want a car until then?

Co. Meath
Level Contributor
35 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: questions re getting about from holiday village

Hi

The boat trips are Don Pancho and Amigos, I went on the Don Pancho which I think is the biggest one, but to be honest I cannot really remember. Its quite reasonable priced, you can book it the day before, which is advisable as it books up pretty quickly. There is a kiosk near the Fiesta Restaurant, where you need to book. Its around from 10.30 until around 2.30, and visits a beach, this beach can be part nudist, so beware, we found it really funny to notice this when we arrived there. You can swim from the boat, which is really lovely.

With regard to car hire, its always risky to leave it till when you get there, having said that last year we rented one just for the day in July, as the temperatures had soared and it was a little too uncomforatble to sit in it, so we hired car and went around the island. Its lovely to drive around, very easy, we saw lots of different places.

Any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Rosie

8. Re: questions re getting about from holiday village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2013, 20:18
england
Level Contributor
71 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: questions re getting about from holiday village

Last few years there have been several car hire companies with offices in main shopping area or represented at hotel reception. Although there have been less hire cars on the island these last couple of years , you shouldn't have a problem in September booking a day or two before you want it. Although if it rains, they do tend to get booked up quickly!

10. Re: questions re getting about from holiday village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Cala'n Bosch