We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire, cala n Bosch

liverpool
Level Contributor
39 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire, cala n Bosch

Hoping to hire a car but find that ther's a lot of rental places to choose from. Has anyone any recommendations?

London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire, cala n Bosch

See top questions for recommendations on the right hand of the main forum page.

CAR HIRE - including WARNINGS

Take the warnings seriously.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire, cala n Bosch

Ditto the above - there are only less than 10 real good firms besides the majors ( all others are agents )

liverpool
Level Contributor
39 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire, cala n Bosch

Cheers for the help.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire, cala n Bosch

WATCH OUT FOR THIS RIP OFF - I’M AMAZED IT’S EVEN LEGAL!!!

My wife and I have just returned from Menorca following a 4 day break. We hired a car on line before departure for collection at the airport via the Do you Spain. com website, which led us to a company called Owners Cars. The advertised hire cost was very competitive and they promised new vehicles.

On arrival at Mahon airport, we went to the Owners Cars desk in the arrivals hall and whilst completing the paperwork were told that for hires of 4 days or more, the car was supplied with a FULL tank of petrol and it was to be returned EMPTY. The car, (a new Toyota Aygo), has a 35ltr tank, does 60-70mpg so we'd have had to cover almost 1200 miles in our 4 day break to use up the fuel they charged us for. We’d be driving all day, every day to cover that kind of distance! Whilst I protested quite strongly to the member of staff, I was firmly told that there was no refund for unused petrol AND to add insult to injury they charged us 2.02 Euro's per litre for it. By comparison at the petrol pumps, petrol prices varied between 1.48 and 1.49 per litre.

As the car was rented mainly to transport us to our hotel, (12.5 kilometres) away and to visit some friends who were also on holiday at a different Menorcan resort, there was no possibility we would use anything like that amount of fuel. Consequently when we returned the car it had well over two thirds of a tank of OUR unused petrol which their next client will be paying THEM 2.02 per litre for! What had started out as an attractive competitive deal, turned out to be a hugely expensive rip off which increased the original quoted cost from a bargain 69.99 Euros to almost 150 Euro’s for a 4 day hire of the smallest car in their fleet.

Last year we also visited Menorca and hired a car from Furgonetas Comerciales in Mahon. They were excellent, courteous and fair. If only we’d remembered their name before this holiday, we would have been happy to go back to them.

Mentioned in this post
Menorca
Menorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Mahon
Mahon
Menorca, Spain
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
14,670 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire, cala n Bosch

I see that you booked through a booking agency which then places bookings with whoever they want - the Top Question "CAR HIRE - including WARNINGS" in the Top Question section on the main page of the minorca forum clearly warns people that this is not the wisest move and had you booked direct with Owners the reservation would have been with no payment up front and no cancellation charge so you could have walked away from the deal when you arrived to collect if you had not noticed the full T&Cs when making the reservation.

To be fair to Owners Cars (and the several other large firms on the island that operate "full tank" fuel policies) this IS clearly mentioned in the conditions section of their website - see http://www.ownerscars.com/en/conditions/ . Hirers DO have the option to chose companies that have a "return with same amount of fuel" or "half tank charge" policies - you just have to make sure you know what you are signing up for before you book and "cheap deals" with online booking agencies are not usually the best way to go.

Although I too do not like full tank policies I have to say that it really is unfair to accuse this particular firm of sharp practice when this IS something that is (a) something you could have made yourself aware of beforehand by reading all T&Cs carefully of both the online booking agency and the supplying company , (b) is not unusual on the island and (c) can be avoided if you do your research beforehand.

This holiday I am using Poppy Cars who operate a "pay for half a tank bring it back empty" rule and other small firms on the island mentioned in the Top Question section all have their own rules on fuel - you have to go with the one you think is best for your needs

I see that you have posted this on other threads so am repeating my response on those .

6. Re: Car hire, cala n Bosch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Cala'n Bosch