We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upgrading to AI at Viva Menorca

Which Cala'n Bosch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Upgrading to AI at Viva Menorca

We've booked a s/c week here for July 14. I was hoping someone could let me know the costs of upgrading to HB or AI upon arrival? The cost when booking independently was £94 extra per day for 2 adults and 2 kids (3 & 6) for AI. I'm not sure this is great value as I don't think we would normally spend £100 per day on food and drinks. I've read that some travellers have been offered an upgrade by reception and also the option if AI day by day?

I'd be grateful of any advise... We've been to Viva hotels before and we are really looking forward to it.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
544 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upgrading to AI at Viva Menorca

You ask about “upgrading” but in my opinion (shared my many Menorca regulars, I know) you would be downgrading. As things stand, you have a self-catering holiday booked for what is probably the best period in the year. You will be able to choose to eat or drink at any of the numerous restaurants in the area. And should you choose to rent a car (which I would 100% recommend, even if not for the entire trip) then you have access to dozens more places, nearly all of them family-run. All are child friendly, the food varies from the good to very good, the prices are not high : and two other benefits. You would be helping the local small businesses, which helps to keep Menorca the charming place it is. And you would thoroughly enjoy a holiday in SPAIN rather than a company-run hotel where the ambience could well make you think you had stayed at home for a week of quite decent weather. The price you mention, £96 per day, would enable you (again IMO) to eat well for all of you. What’s more, if you wish you can decide one day to go easy and another to have a bit of a treat.

I know I’m biased but I’ve visited Menorca now for so many years and loved every trip. Some of my best memories are of leisurely meals with the family or friends in friendly surroundings with the sights and sounds of Menorcan life all around. To pay £96 per day to eat all your meals in an admittedly quite well appointed and nice hotel seems to me to rob you of the very benefits a holiday abroad might offer.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,189 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upgrading to AI at Viva Menorca

I totally agree with Post 1 - apart from helping the local economy, these All Incl arrangement seem to make people stick in their hotel complex far too much so they might as be anywhere eating the same canteen buffet type stuff at fixed times and the food is never going to be tip top

You will find lots of places to eat in Cala N'Bosch all of which should have good value menu del dias ( fixed price 2-3 course menu) and good value childrens menus. You can always cut down on expenses by doing a bit of self catering for breakfast and the odd lunch ( you could even pack the childrens favourite cereals if they have one to avoid having the search out and pay OTT for UK brands on the island) but in my mind the £100 odd per day you mention is better spent outside the hotel.

A modest bus fare takes you into Ciutadella where you can sightsee and eat out well and there is even a Burger King in Ciutadella if your children are that way inclined ( there is a branch of BK inside the airport departure lounge too BTW if you are concerned about eating on the way home) .

You are bound to be offered the upgrade off by the hotel when you arrive but look around first - personally I would not consider the free for all of All Inclusive catering arrangement. Avoid rushing into ecursions too - there is a water park for the children in Bosch and in a week you may well find that all you need is an independent bus trip into Ciutadella

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Upgrading to AI at Viva Menorca

Holiday memories are made outside of the hotel dining room? as you have been to Cala en Bosch before you know have many restaurants are there... Frankly 100 Euro spent outside is better spent IMO

Of course as they offer AI the hotel will be doing everything to offer it on arrival

manchester
Level Contributor
586 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upgrading to AI at Viva Menorca

having been to calan bosch, i must agree with all the above views, for 94 pounds a day for two you can dine out very well and have some change to boot to have a nice cocktail in one of the local bars.

i would also add the quilaty would be better, i am not saying the food would be bad in the Viva but having tried alot of the reatsurants in bosch the hotel could not and would not beat the meal of choice served as you would personally like it.

5. Re: Upgrading to AI at Viva Menorca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Cala'n Bosch
Recent Conversations