We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Ancient Thera

Ottawa, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Getting to Ancient Thera

I'm arriving in Santorini on a cruise in late May and was hoping to visit the site of Ancient Thera. From my research I got as far as needing to take a bus to Kamari, and from there I can take a taxi or a shuttle bus to access the ruins of Ancient Thera.

My question is, I read that the bus/taxi only takes you so far up to the top and you still have a small bit to walk up from there to access the ruins. As I'll be traveling with my mom who is not that fit (she is mobile, but just cannot walk difficult paths for longer than.. say 5 minutes) I was worried about this part of the trip.

Can anyone tell me about the access to Ancient Thera regarding this?

Any insight will be much appreciated! Thank you!!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
736 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Ancient Thera

Hi :)

I'm goon to be honest and say I don't think it would be wise, when you get to the top you have quiet a walk over uneven paths and it can get very very windy. If I was you I would give it a miss :(

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,448 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Ancient Thera

i have to agree ... its a bit of a trek and it takes some sure footing . i absolutely love the site but its not all that easy to access

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Ancient Thera

There's a few old Roman ruins a bit behind the Boat House hotel in Kamari. Not a whole lot but I did find them interesting.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,759 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Ancient Thera

Hi,

Whether you take the bus or a taxi you end up at the small roundabout on a ridge between Kamari Beach and Perissa. there are good views from this point even if you don't visit Ancient Thera.

It is a further ½ mi quite steep & hot walk to the Ancient Thera site, it takes about 1 hour for the visit and back to that roundabout.

You could do it, but people who have any difficulties with walking probably would not want to go. I saw a number of people who had difficulties reaching the site itself.

There are WCs and seats by the site ticket place about 2 min from that roundabout so if your Mom does not mind being abandoned for an hour you could do that.

The bus is run by Kamari Tours by the Football ground in Kamari Beach to the roundabout, hourly intervals, 10€ pp return when I went.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Ancient Thera

<<I was worried about this part of the trip.>>

You should be, the top part is entirely impractical for anyone with mobility difficulties.

I would either skip it, or leave her by the bus stop with a bottle of water while you spend an hour or so taking pictures, then get the bus down again.

Frankly, as this is going to take you the best part of your less than one day in Santorini, I'd give it a miss and take an island tour.

Or, put your mum on a tour and you go to AT alone.

Edited: 12 May 2011, 07:52
Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Ancient Thera

ill be visiting ancient thera also 10 euro is two way? bus will wait while we are in the top?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Ancient Thera

<<will be visiting ancient thera also 10 euro is two way?>>

I believe so, someone else can confirm that

<< bus will wait while we are in the top?>>

No, another one will turn up later, I think they are every hour or so, so for example, the one you get off, others will be getting on it to go back down.

Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Ancient Thera

ahh ok @ joeintheuk thanks will be leaving tomorrow going to athens then to santorini

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,759 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Ancient Thera

Yes, the 10€ is two way.

Times were nominally listed as from Kamari 8:30, 9:30, 10:30, 11:30, 12:30. Ret 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. Wise to ask as some times may be dropped.

Thus a nominal 1½hr including about 10 mins to get there. The bus does not wait he has other 'missions' to do. They seem to insist on you taking the next one back and not a later one probably because it's a small minibus. The site is closed Mon.

Those people who are fit can walk down a track to Perissa and get a bus from there back to Fira town for a more interesting round trip.

Basingstoke, UK
Level Contributor
150 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Ancient Thera

hi Guys,

I have hired a car i take it i can drive there?

Sarahx

Get answers to your questions about Kamari
Recent Conversations