We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike from Kamari to Perissa

Which Kamari hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
denmark
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic

This is a review and not a questions but I do not think the topic has been mentioned before.

This hike takes about 2 hours and involves 22 hairpin bends over

Mount Mesa vouno which rises to 400metres and is the second highest peak on Santorina.

The road on the Kamari side is paved and quiet, this is where you find the 22 hairpin bends. The route down to Perissa is a donkey track, which is still used by donkeys.

This route is not suitable for flip flops, Ladies dress sandals, small children or push chairs. You need to be quite fit and sound of limb to attempt it, but it is quite an easy walk.

Take a hat, water and a camera. Rest in the shade. Take your time and enjoy it.

September 11th 2013, 10am

We set off from the main bus stop in Kamari and headed uphill. We were wearing Timberland and Ecco sandals. They are very tough and we have done several long walks in them. We also carried a day bag with swim wear, towel, water and fruit.

5 minutes after setting off we came to a grocers shop where we bought fruit and water. Dont attempt the walk without water, it will only make the hike up a chore.

The walk up the hairpins is not as hard as it appears from the foot of the mountain. The traffic is quiet as there is no way off the mountain, it is a cul du sac. There are several rest stops on the way up so take advantage of them and be surprised how close to the airport you are.

The road ends where the hairpins end and the traffic has to come back down the hill. At this point there was a mobile snack wagon, when we walked it.

The track to Perissa now starts to drop down onto the plain, but you can carry on to the summit of Mt. Mesa vouno, if you wish.

The track down is a donkey track, but is not difficult. The way down is clear, except at one point where the track forks. The left fork is to a small White chapel on the cliff face. It is only a short walk. The track down leads to Perissa.

You enter Perissa at the bus stop which takes you to Krifa. Perissa is a lot quieter than Kamari, but there are still shops and restaurants. The sea is often a lot calmer in Perissa and not as deep as at Kamira.

To get back to Kamari, you can retrace your route, get the shuttle boat back to Kamari or take the bus to Krifa and then change to Kamari.

The total trip including a swim and lunch in Perissa takes about half a day and is well worth it. We really enjoyed it.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,490 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hike from Kamari to Perissa

You didn't mention ancient Thira, which for me was the highlight of the walk and something I still remember - more than 15 years on!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hike from Kamari to Perissa

Thanks for the detailed review. We plan on walking to Ancient Thera next month from Kamari, and then back down the Perissa side.

Is the starting point easy to find from Kamari? Is the "main bus stop" where the bus from Fira would drop off passengers?

London
Level Contributor
435 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hike from Kamari to Perissa

It's easy to find your way to the start of the hairpin road - you can't miss it. The bus station at the other side brings in people from Fira, and back again. Another option is to get the boat back from Perissa to Kamari for 4 EU per person.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hike from Kamari to Perissa

Thanks for the reply, Sunshine.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hike from Kamari to Perissa

The hairpin road is boring - you missed a far more interesting route up from Kamari - the old mule path to the right of the road. There's detailed information in the last thread on this subject (which has been discussed fairly often in this forum): tripadvisor.com/…49566821

denmark
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hike from Kamari to Perissa

Yes it is. Turn your back to the sea look left. You will see the walls of the bends and probably cars going up it. There is very little traffic. The grocer is about 500 m up on the left but things will start closing at the start of October.

John we did them both and it is a matter of opinion. We did them both and enjoyed them.

Steve

Edited: 13 September 2013, 06:28
London
Level Contributor
97 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hike from Kamari to Perissa

I feel it is only fair to post a warning to anybody who is remotely unfit or unsteady on their feet, that the HIKE down from old Thira to Perrisa is quite treacherous. We enjoyed our walk up to Old Thira on the hairpin road, but I personally would never attempt to walk down the donkey track to Perissa ever again and I am pretty fit.

If you are a very keen walker or a mountaineer and are wearing very stout footwear it may be okay for you but not for me thanks.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,670 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hike from Kamari to Perissa

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the trek down.

I agree it's not the easiest, but I had my good hiking boots on and while I took my time, enjoyed the view with water stops, I didn't feel it was beyond me.

Totally agree that good footwear is the key. I couldn't believe some rubbish people were wearing (flip flops, sandals, etc.), when I was doing the climb.

denmark
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hike from Kamari to Perissa

Kennydon, if you read my original review you will see we did walk it in sandals, several times in fact and the Fira to Oia walk. But they are tough Timberland and Ecco sandals which we have used for walks all over Europe. I would not try it in any type of dress sandal. Trainers would not be a problem. We found all the walks easy but we are fit, healthy and Sound of limb as I mentioned in my review. I did not mention ancient Thira in my review as we had not visited it at that stage. We have since and it is well worth the visit.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hike from Kamari to Perissa

Here's a different opinion: I'm a touch overweight, far from a mountaineer, and I have made this walk many times with no trouble in my 40s, 50s and (starting this year) 60s. Did it once in flip-flops, as a matter of fact. My advice is to take it easy, drink plenty of water, and above all don't start out in the hottest part of the day.

Get answers to your questions about Kamari
Recent Conversations