We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Kamari the place for us?

Which Kamari hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is Kamari the place for us?

Hi everyone,

I want to check if Kamari is the place for me and my partner. We're both in our late 20's. We usually. Spend most of our time around the pool on holiday with 2-3 days exploring the local area. My main concern is the night life here.

I realise this isn't a party town (we are glad) but we do enjoy some cocktails and some late night drinks after a nice authentic meal. We love live music (anything will do) but we are desperate to avoid hoardes of Brits singing terrible karaoke and listening to tribute act after tribute act.

We realise that in order to escape the 'Benidorm' scene we will need to pay more, but can anyone give us an indication of how much we can expect to pay for a nice 2 course meal such as kleftiko, cocktails, general spirits with mixers and a large beer?

Please let us know if this isn't the place for us as planning to book soon! Also I don't want to cause any offence to anyone as I've been on holiday to bodrum, benidiom, Agia Napa, Tenerife, kavos etc before and loved all those places but it's not what we're after this year!

Thanks everyone!

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,590 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Kamari the place for us?

Firstly, stop panicking, Kamari isn't << bodrum, benidiom, Agia Napa, Tenerife, kavos >>

There's no karaoke (that I'm aware of anyway), no Maccy D, no English pubs and Sunday roast just like your mum makes.

To be honest, I'm no great fan of Kamari - I prefer the quieter, more laid back atmosphere of Perissa, but if you do go there, you'll find lots of really good hotels, bars, small family run tavernas and restaurants.

For a really good dinner - starter, main, carafe of house wine etc, expect to pay €20-€25 per head. You may pay slightly more if you go to one of the beach facing restaurants, but all of them have their menu and prices on display, so if one is too expensive, go to another.

In Perissa (the other side of the mountain to Kamari), I'd expect to pay around €3 for a cocktail, maybe about €5 for a spirit bsed drink eg JD and Coke. Prices in the two resorts are pretty much the same.

You'll find plenty of places with live music (no tribute bands, again, as far as I know) as well as chilled out bars and even the odd club or two if you fancy a "wilder" night.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Kamari the place for us?

Thank you so much! That's exactly what I wanted to hear and after weeks of searching I think we've found out 2014 holiday destination.

Perissa sounds lovely too. May have to venture there one day for some chill out time.

Thanks again!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
394 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Kamari the place for us?

Been to both. (Perissa twice, Kamari once) To be honest i prefer Kamari.

There is a boat that will take you to Perissa (and back) during the day. You could also go via taxi in the evening.

As bigsnitch says. No karaoke, Sunday lunch, tribute acts. It's a million miles away from your Benidorms.

Plenty of tavernas to have a meal in and plenty of bars for drinks. Do wander down the back streets to find alternative places to eat/drink as the prices can be cheaper.

Have a good 'un!

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,207 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Kamari the place for us?

Is there some ad out there comparing Santorini to Benidorm? I think that's the second person thinking they were similar in a week or so?

Anyway, its not - come and enjoy.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Kamari the place for us?

No advert that I'm aware of but it's hard to find somewhere in Europe these days that hasn't been turned into mini Blackpools! Nothing wrong with Blackpool but sometimes you just want some escape!

The last couple of years we've been to Kyrenia in north Cyprus which is lovely but I have half of my family there so it's never a real holiday, can't wait to have a week in a hotel and not have to do anything!!

Thanks again!

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,590 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Kamari the place for us?

Sounds like a plan - a bit of hotel life, not having to make your own bed or do your own cooking is more of a holiday than running around after a family.

You'll love Santorini, get it booked and start looking forward to it.

Martin

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,207 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Kamari the place for us?

If you really want 'non-touristy', consider a day over on Thirassia.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Kamari the place for us?

Hi,

We are around the same age and my husband and I were looking for something very similar to you last year, we went to Kamari as it was suggested by a friend. It was just what we had been looking for, great restaurants most of them on the seafront and some great cocktail bars that are open to quite late, then if you do want places open say after 1.30-2 then you can go to Fira, we thought we would end up in Fira most nights as we do like a lively atmosphere but we got just that in Kamari, it's really nice. we did hire a quad bike and visit perissa some days, it was lovely for lunch and a drink late afternoon or you can catch the boat, I think the last boat back was about 5ish. Don't hesitate about booking, it was also very reasonably priced, excellent food and drink that was all good value, we only had one rip off bad meal one day for lunch for the whole 2 weeks and I didn't hear Karaoke once, which is great for me!!

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Kamari the place for us?

we are also first timers staying in Santorini . How do you get thirassia from Kamari . Also does anyone one know f there are any vineyards nearby that are accessible without a car . Thanks

Oxford, England
Level Contributor
22 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Kamari the place for us?

There are several vineyards you can visit. Haven't done it yet, but 1 is quite near Kamari. The bus might stop nearby?

Get answers to your questions about Kamari