We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Kamari the place for us?

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is Kamari the place for us?

Hi everyone,

I want to check if Kamari is the place for me and my partner. We're both in our late 20's. We usually. Spend most of our time around the pool on holiday with 2-3 days exploring the local area. My main concern is the night life here.

I realise this isn't a party town (we are glad) but we do enjoy some cocktails and some late night drinks after a nice authentic meal. We love live music (anything will do) but we are desperate to avoid hoardes of Brits singing terrible karaoke and listening to tribute act after tribute act.

We realise that in order to escape the 'Benidorm' scene we will need to pay more, but can anyone give us an indication of how much we can expect to pay for a nice 2 course meal such as kleftiko, cocktails, general spirits with mixers and a large beer?

Please let us know if this isn't the place for us as planning to book soon! Also I don't want to cause any offence to anyone as I've been on holiday to bodrum, benidiom, Agia Napa, Tenerife, kavos etc before and loved all those places but it's not what we're after this year!

Thanks everyone!

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is Kamari the place for us?

To get to Thirassia from Kamari, you'll need to get to Oia first, then go down to Ammoudi where you can get the small ferry over to the island.

There is a community bus that goes from Oia to Ammoudi several times a day.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,965 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is Kamari the place for us?

Unfortunately, I seem to be in Internet access hell today, so hopefully this response won't disappear into the ether.

If you want to find more information on Thirassia:

1) check the Thirassia forum (yes, there is one but its not used much). I added a link the other day that has boat times.

2) do a search for my username for Thirassia (or Thirasia, or even Therasia) for various threads about the subject. There's a trip report that has photos of Thirassia at the end.

3) my only worry is the local taxi company won't play ball. From memory, there's no bus from Kamari that will make the connection in Fira to get you to Oia in time to walk down to Ammoudi.

Bigsnitch, SunLoverRuby, Nessie27 and I went over to Thirassia for the day back in 2012 and Martin couldn't get the taxi company to take a booking from Perissa to Ammoudi. As far as we knew there weren't loads of planes or ferries due, so we couldn't work out why they wouldn't accept the booking.

The local bus from Oia to Ammoudi is now run by Pagonis Tours and costs €1 each way. They used to leave from near the WC in Oia bus square. Not sure now if they leave from outside their offices, which is just down the road.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,965 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is Kamari the place for us?

Thirassia forum: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1782920-i21723-…

Trip report (with photos): tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189433-i245-k29…

This thread has some information about getting over to Thirassia: tripadvisor.co.uk/…49025317

Trip report from 2012: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189433-i245-k56…

14. Re: Is Kamari the place for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Kamari
Recent Conversations