We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Chicalana

Level Contributor
302 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Chicalana

Hi all

Came across this hotel by mistake. Can anyone tell me a bit about the area, just general info. I want to book for Sept. Will the weather be nice for sunbathing? and maybe a dip in the sea. I love trying tapas and hate it when places become too commercial. Wonder if I would like this area? I just love the beaches. Are they sandy or pebble beaches?

Thanks if you can help guys... I am itching to book it but always apreciate my TA member advice.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
21,842 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Chicalana

Sand is brill. First two weeks in Sept still normally summer ! Gets a little bit changeable later. Novo Sancti Petri is a bit off the tapas trail to be frank. You have bus to take you along the coast to main older area or even try out the town of Chiclana inland. I would say that it would be relaxing around the hotel and for beach exploring very good but heading out for an evening is a bit more tricky. The vast crowds of summer have disappeared and the sea is very inviting indeed. Another nice place along this coast is Conil and that has a few super hotels near the small town. Or of course Cadiz itself which boasts an enormous sandy beach Playa Victoria,

Edited: 04 August 2014, 20:13
Level Contributor
302 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Chicalana

thank you for your reply. Is there much of a problem with locals at the weekend?

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Chicalana

We have holidayed seven times in Chiclana over the last 10 years, was there for 16 days at the beginning of July before moving inland to Olvera. I have never had any problem with locals, other tourists or visitors of any description. The area is simply not the chosen place of the drunken party goer is this is what you mean. This is an area where the stay at home Spanish holiday. This year there were quite a lot of Germans and Scandinavians also.

The sea will be warm enough for a dip. We went paddling up the coast at San Lúcar de Barrameda last October 16th, the weather was beautiful until we left the following week. The beach, Playa la Barrosa is 8 kms of lovely clean sand. Along at the Riu there are a number of hotels, all good quality and a couple of golf courses nearby. It is walkable to the area of cafés and bars between Novo Sancti Petri and Sancti Petri but a good walk of perhaps 40 minutes (not advisable July and August) and a good regular bus service between the beach area and the town centre. The town centre area is nice with shopping and a food market. My daughter particularly likes the choice of shoe shops.

We always have a car which makes getting around so much easier. There are some lovely places aroundabout to visit including Medina Sidonia, a white hilltop town, Cádiz city itself and its fishing port at El Puerto de Santa Maria. As Cádiz_lover said Conil de la Frontera a little south of Chiclana is also a nice town. The area is quite different to the other costas there being no high rise developments, all hotels and apartments are low-rise.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Saludos. Lindsay

Corby, United...
Level Contributor
301 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Chicalana

We stayed there last year. It is a great hotel sitting on Barossa Beach which goes on for miles. We did do organised trips to Gibraltar, Seville & Cadiz. If I go again I would definately hire a car as this is a very beautiful area of Spain to explore. The organised trips dont give you long enough to explore properly.

There are lots of locals come in for the weekend but they did not cause us any problems and the site is big enough to get away from the noise if you need to. Any other questions just ask.

5. Re: Riu Chicalana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2016, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Novo Sancti Petri