We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barossa Girls Weekend

Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Barossa Girls Weekend

I'm organising a girls weekend to the Barossa this August. So far we have the following plans:

- Friday arrive Adelaide 9am, collect minibus (11 of us) and drive to Barossa.

- Doing cooking Demo with Lunch @ Maggie Beer's @ 11.30am.

- We are staying @ Barossa Dreams for 2 nights and have a private chef organised for dinner on the Friday night.

- Saturday - Farmers Market Breakfast - then a few wineries, then lunch at Lou Miranda's.

Ok - so I need a bit of advice.....

any suggestions for a winery or two within close proximity to Maggies/Barossa Dreams for the Friday arvo?

Which wineries would be recommended for the Saturday morning (aim to do 2 + Lou Miranda pre lunch).

Saturday arvo we generally kick back and have a long lazy lunch and then perhaps grab a few nibblies for a night in and get takeaway (any pizza suggestions?)

We have almost a full day on the Sunday as the first of our group departs @ 6.30pm so I guess we will need to be at Adelaide airport by 5.30pm or so.

I would love any suggestions for what we can do Sunday. I had thought of hire bikes, or massage, more wineries etc. Is there something particularly special anyone can recommend? (including where to eat breakfast?)

Thanks in anticipation :)

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
9,774 posts
1,330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barossa Girls Weekend

Here's my suggestions/ thoughts...

1. Regarding wineries- there's many to choose from. My suggestion would be to poll your group to find out whether there are any particular Barossa wines they like, then go to those wineries.

The "showplace" wineries catering for tourists are Penfolds (you might be able to book one of their specialty tastings- check their website); Seppeltsfield (very historic), Barossa Valley Estate- they have a dining area, and Jacobs Creek (very upmarket).

2. You could spend half a day or so looking around one of the towns like Angaston (Angas Park Fruit Company, Cheese Shop, other shops...) or Tanunda (the largest town in the region).

3. Vintners restaurant is a good place for lunch one day- excellent food (it's near the site of the Farmers Market).

4. I think you'll enjoy the Maggie Beer experience- I hope it involves a personal appearance from her- Ms Beer is an Australian living treasure!! I went to a cooking course with her last year, and it was a memorable experience!

Bon voyage et bon apetit!

Edited: 20 June 2011, 15:37
Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barossa Girls Weekend

Thankyou very much :)

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
9,774 posts
1,330 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barossa Girls Weekend

Have a great time :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
289 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barossa Girls Weekend

Aruond Maggies Farm Shop there are some excellent wineries that you can combine. Whistler, Torbreck, Two Hands, Veraitas/Rolf Binder just to name a few. All excellent.

Re. Saturday lunch at Lou Mirandas........try not to eat too much at the Farmers Market.......SAVE SOME SPACE!!! Lou's is my absolute favourite Barossa restaurant ( we lived there for a few years). OMG I just love the place and we always settle in for a big lunch. Great value wines, Italian food, the best Gnocci with gorgonzola. The service can be quite slow but they are so friendly you never care and it just means you can eat more. On the way to Lou's you pass Grant Burge, St Hallets, Jacobs Creek (cliche I know but a lovely location and worth a visit just for the view), so you could taste at any of those on the way.

For takeaway pizzas you cannot go past Roaring 40's in Angaston. All the other takeaway places were IMO terrible in the Barossa (one of things that always drove me mad living there) so we used to make the 15min trek to get ours from Angaston on a Saturday night. Delicious.

Sunday breakie - Keils in Tanunda. My favourite coffee spot in the Barossa. Maybe a light lunch on the lawns at Peter Lehmans if the weather is nice and you can walk between Richmond Grove, Lehmans and Langmeil. Hmmm......what else to do.....keep drinking.....that is what we did when we lived there!

You will have a lovely weekend. Food and wine is a treat.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
289 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barossa Girls Weekend

With regard to Saturday night dinner "in".....you may find enough to buy at the Farmers Market in the morning for dinner. Careme Pastry have an amazing selection of quiches and tarts that you could heat up. There is always fresh bread, plenty of small goods (try mettwurst), Barossa Valley cheese company cheeses, sometimes there is a guy selling pizza breads.....and more. And I am sure you will have plenty of purchases from Maggie Beers the day before.

Another idea for Sunday is just a wander of the shops in Angaston and Tanunda. The Barossa definitely does food and wine the best but there are a few nice retail shops. Certainly no shoppers paradise but worth a wander. Good antique shop next door to Keils and then work your way up to Alabaster - a lovely homewears, clothing shop where all products are environmetally responsible.

Rural SA
Level Contributor
286 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barossa Girls Weekend

If / when in Angaston, you could also visit Yalumba Winery (family owned business). It has lovely buildings and gardens and beautiful wines.

There's also well known lookout, Mengler's Hill, although I'm not sure how you would get up there without transport (unless you hire bikes!). It offers quite a panoramic view of the vineyards spread across the Barossa Valley floor.

I've always had great service at Penfold's cellar door. The building itself is plainer than other cellar doors but it's what is inside that counts!!

Salter's Restaurant at Saltram Wines/Estate, Angaston do great pizzas in house.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Barossa Girls Weekend

Do you mind me asking how much all this cost pp? I am organising a hen's weekend and this sounds just what I'm after!

Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barossa Girls Weekend

My memory is not too good but I think accomm was about $90/person/night and the chef was about $60/ person for the choices we made . We had a great weekend as it was very central. We went to the Farmers Markets which was great, went to quite a few wineries and also went to Maggie Beers - excellent!!

Lots of choice of activities so you can be very flexible.

Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barossa Girls Weekend

My memory is not too good but I think accomm was about $90/person/night and the chef was about $60/ person for the choices we made . We had a great weekend as it was very central. We went to the Farmers Markets which was great, went to quite a few wineries and also went to Maggie Beers - excellent!!

Lots of choice of activities so you can be very flexible.

Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Barossa Girls Weekend