We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving and wine-tasting??

Brunei
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Driving and wine-tasting??

Hi all.

My wife and I are planning to hire a car and drive from Adelaide to Barossa Valley perhaps staying 1/2 nights. My plan is to park the car at our hotel and go around the wineries for wine tastings. How do I resolve the need to drive to all the wineries and also the tastings if I was to drive? Are any of the wineries within walking distances?

We are a couple in our mid-thirties so walking reasonable distances should be ok. Or are there better options?

Appreciate any advice from the experts here.

Thanks!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,700 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving and wine-tasting??

You need to rethink. Walking to wineries doesn't work. I would suggest a tour if you intend to drink your tastings rather than spit them out :-) There are many to choose from, both private and group. Just google.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving and wine-tasting??

yes u have really only two options, drive and swirl and spit or take a tour and swallow.

the former is quite acceptable and most wineries cater for it.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
289 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving and wine-tasting??

Driving is a must unless you arrange a private tour which if you ring the Barossa visitors centre you can get some suggestions. Personally I dont think you see the best of the Barossa by doing a big tour from Adelaide.

One suggestion is to drive and taste (small sips) and then book a late lunch or dinner within walking distance of where you are staying.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving and wine-tasting??

Agree with above... you might be able to walk to one or two wineries from your chosen accommodation but the Barossa is a big area.

Stay somewhere like The Kirche at Charles Melton or Abbotsford Country House, Barossa Chalets, Stonewell Cottages, Seppeltsfield Vineyard Cottage, or any similar properties on the town fringes and you'll have wineries close by.. Stay in a town and your options are a little more limited if you want views and that proper "cellar door" experience

If you are a true wine LOVER and your budget can afford it, the best way is to get a chauffeur car.. with a knowledgeable driver.. and arrange private tastings at the best wineries. Second Choice,... a little cheaper but more restrictive on options, is a Wine bus such as www.tourbarossa.com ... these can be fun.

Unless you have great will power....resist the urge to drive...

Either drive and resist the urge to imbibe one day and perhaps book somewhere close by a couple of wineries and do a walking/drinking tour the next ?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,044 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving and wine-tasting??

If you choose to swallow then definitely go for a tour. The local constabulary love to pick up drink drivers! I'd suggest staying away from the big bus operators - you end up only visiting a couple of the big commercial wineries and being offered their lesser quality wines and have to sit through the same 'history of the HV/how wine is made' talk over and over again! You will also get taken to shops you don't necessarily want to visit. If a personal chauffeur is out of the question try and do a small group tour where you can negotiate the wineries you want to visit.

I'd personally opt for taste and spit and only swallow a glass or two over lunch. All wineries have spittoons and is a common practice.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving and wine-tasting??

the above all are good suggestions ..but remember also ..depending of the volume you may consume during the tastings ..it can still be in your system the next day and you could go over the limit on a breath test

7. Re: Driving and wine-tasting??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 02:15