We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Drive Should I Take? Concerned About Roads...Snow

Level Contributor
1,441 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
What Drive Should I Take? Concerned About Roads...Snow

We are scheduled to arrive at Bradley-Hartford Airport tomorrow around 11 a.m. I had planned on taking a scenic drive, going west through CT and then cutting up into the lower Berkshires, with final destination of Lenox.

I know snow is forecast. I don't have much experience driving in snow. I'm looking at weather forecasts and am having trouble getting information needed. The TV weather broadcasts tend to help me most....but does the Berkshires have a station? I've looked at the Springfield MA station - it says snow in the "hill towns". The Albany NY station is telling me 1-4" of snow, but doesn't really say where.

Should I alter my route into Berkshires? Are backroads maintained? Or should I take interstate/turnpike? Thanks.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,681 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What Drive Should I Take? Concerned About Roads...Snow

My understanding is that tomorrow will be relatively quiet weather-wise. If that's the case, you shouldn't have any concerns about driving on snow.

When we DO have snow, there are plusses and minuses around highways versus back roads. Highways tend to stay more snowless because of the moving traffic and the heavy presense of plows. However, the speeds are higher, so you may tend to feel more in control on back roads. Anyway, I think you won;t have to worry about this tomorrow.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Drive Should I Take? Concerned About Roads...Snow

Well, it snowed there, this morning. But it's a freak, a dusting, and the ground is still warm. The temperature just kissed freezing where it got that cold. The next couple of days, it's supposed to be ~50F and rainy.

www.weather.com/weather/local/USMA0330…

Note, you can click on "10-day".

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What Drive Should I Take? Concerned About Roads...Snow

Weather report"

It snowed last night and this morning in the area around Bradley, but you could only tell snowflakes from rain from looking closely at what was landing on the windshield. Roads were wet, but not icy/slippery even after dark. One car on the road in the morning (coming from ???) did have about an inch of slush coating the car. Weather related driving problems should not be a big concern.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Drive Should I Take? Concerned About Roads...Snow

Then there was yesterday... Guess all we can say good about it was that it was good it was on a Sunday -- for us and the Pats. ...And that at least you can see a Nor'easter acomin'.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Drive Should I Take? Concerned About Roads...Snow

OK, looking at the posts above, nevermind about seeing it coming. Back to, "Good that it was on a Sunday". (And those Patriots sure do love the snow!)

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Drive Should I Take? Concerned About Roads...Snow

wintersummer, this was your thread... How did you make out, afterall?

7. Re: What Drive Should I Take? Concerned About Roads...Snow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2010, 05:17