We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Distances in the Berkshires

Scotland
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Distances in the Berkshires

We are staying in Stockbridge for 4 nights from the 11th October. We enjoy hiking (not too strenuous) and are thinking of Mount Greylock for a day out - and hoping for some nice views from the top. I know you can drive to the top, but would like to find a nice route to walk. Perhaps we should also consider Monument Mountain?

* Can't work out how long it would take us to drive to Mount Washington to pick up the cog railway. Is it too far?

* We'd also quite like to drive the Kancamagus Highway for the foliage, but again - can't guage the distance/time

* Also, can anyone tell me when it gets dark around that time of year?

* I'm hoping we'll have timed it right to catch the fall colours this year - or perhaps we're too far south?

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Distances in the Berkshires

I am sitting in my car so can't get mapquest but would guesstimate it is 4-5 hrs to the kanc and another hour to north conway so would not suggest this as a daytrip. The cog which is in bretton woods is 3 hrs round-trip. While worth visiting don't do it with such a short period of time plenty to do in berkshires or southern VT

Scotland
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Distances in the Berkshires

Ooo, you're right! Thank goodness I asked, as I had no idea it would take so long - looks much closer on the map! Thanks very much for replying.

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Distances in the Berkshires

It gets dark around 6 p.m. Leaf peeping should be nice. A trip up rt 7 into southern vermont bennington area will bring you in and out of some small towns and you will see some nice foliage.If you have a few more days head up to southern maine(about 3-4 hr away and tour some of the coastal towns and eat some lobster.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Distances in the Berkshires

You might get better response if you asked about driving distances in new England, not just the berkshires. At that time of year the berkshires is probably just the right place to be. When you get here you can decide whether driving north or south is the best direction to chase the foliage. Forget Maine. Bretton woods could be a very long day trip but in general I suggest driving up the west side of Vermont to Burlington although chances are the foliage will be past peak that far north. Ask a new question about " need advice on foliage tour" or something like that.

Scotland
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Distances in the Berkshires

Thank you both for picking up my message. We are keen not to spend long days in the car, but to try and get out to do some walking and some of the main tourist attractions in the Berkshire area. I had completely underestimated the size of New England, so think I will have to start planning my 2nd trip before I've even had my 1st. I'm going to follow the "less is more" principle I think.

Berkshires
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Distances in the Berkshires

Scottie,

I think there has been some great advice so far. Foliage should be very good here around the second week of October. As another poster said, you can go several hours north if it is a little early or a little ways south (2 1/2-3 hours south and you are in NYC metro area.) As for hikes, Mount Greylock is the highest peak in MA and the views from the summit are spectacular; Green Mountains to the north, Adirondacks to the West, Berkshire/Taconics to the South West. There are a few places off the road that leads to the summit that you can park and hike on, but the hike can be strenuous on some of the trails. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts has a good website for state parks, and Greylock is one of those parks. About 45 min drive to North Adams from Stockbridge. Much closer in Monument Mountain, and certainly a much less strenuous hike. Quite nice views from the summit there too. You may also want to consider spending some time on the Appalachian Trail (AT). The Appalachian Trail goes from Georgia to Maine and covers over 2000 miles. The AT goes over the summit of Greylock, but there are some very pretty places with vistas and overlooks all along the trail. You could hike a couple of miles in to see the vistas and hike a couple of miles out. The AT is one of the US's true treasures. Again there is lots of information on the AT on the web.

As for driving, the distances are quite substantial compared to the UK. If you are interested in a day trip, I agree w/ palmhill that a trip up to Southern Vt. would be great. Keep going north of Bennington and there are many small Vt. towns along the way. The Kangamangus trial is a great trip, but is a much longer day than to Southern Vt.

Enjoy your trip to the Berkshires.

Scotland
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Distances in the Berkshires

Thanks very much VQSVisitor! I hadn't thought about the AT, so I will do some research on that - that's a really good suggestion. We've got 3.5 full days in the Berkshires, taking in to account our travel time, so I think we should find plenty to do and see. Really looking forward to it now!

8. Re: Driving Distances in the Berkshires

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Berkshires