We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend w/kids

Vestal
4 posts
Save Topic
weekend w/kids

We are headed up for the weekend with our 2 and 4 year old. Any recommendations on attractions? Also, any suggestions on places to eat with the kids? We'd love to go hiking, but would probably need short trails, any ideas?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: weekend w/kids

Seeing that you'll only be visiting for a weekend, whereabouts will you be staying?

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weekend w/kids

I'm not sure if this would still be in place, but this could be good. I was at the Clark Art Museum (Williamstown) in June. The museum is great, but has beautiful large grounds with short hiking trails. When I was there, the trails were quite magical because a summer school had already done a project building little magical forest buildings out of twigs and moss, alongside the trails. I can't believe they would remove these, and would guess they will simply let them gently decay over the months. There are so many beautiful places to walk in the Berkshires, but since Williamstown is a great spot and the museum is wonderful, I thought I would mention this. They also had an intriguing sculpture show that might interest kids.

I also toured Naumkeag in June, one of those historic homes in the Berkshires. It's not so much about hiking, but it's quite strange and magical and has very elaborate landscaping that might be fun for you and your kids. I don't know how late in the season they are open. Take a look at the website, though -- see if it looks intriguing to you:

thetrustees.org/places-to-visit/berkshires/n…

Just thought of something else. There is a small museum somewhere in that area that has an amazing collection of Victorian dolls and elaborate costumes. I haven't been there myself, but this might be a good family thing. I think the collection might be called Les Petit Dames de Mode. . . it's located in a large historic house called Ventfort Hall. I found one mention of this on a website:

/www.berkshires.com/Features36.php

Edited: 15 September 2010, 21:06
Vestal
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: weekend w/kids

maxielu: those are great suggestions. I think they sound really neat, I'll look into them. any ideas for places to eat?

we are staying at vacation village (hancock), but are willing to drive short distances (within an hour range).

thank you!

Vestal
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: weekend w/kids

so we did the clark yesterday with the kids and it worked out well...they complained, but were just being fussy ...i thought 1.5 miles was very doable and the scenery was beautiful. We ate at coyote flaco a "fine dining" mexican/spanish place...pretty good food at "fine dining" prices and so-so for the kids, just b/c of the formality. today we went to the butterfly museum (in deerfield??) and yankee candle museum. both were great for the kids. we spent a while at the candle place b/c they have a lot of displays and "snow" in one of their winter rooms--really good for this age. we ate at coyote den near the vacation village (to go with the coyote theme ;) But this was disappointing, the atmosphere was perfect for the kids and us and the wait staff was great. food was pretty bad though (still have bad taste in my mouth--don't get the wings and don't get any seafood...

off for another adventure tomorrow...howes caverns on the way home...probably mt. greylock since its right there and i'd like to do N House (can't remember how to spell--previous poster's rec.) but not sure if i can convince husb....

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
672 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weekend w/kids

We are thinking of doing a similar trip with our 7 y.o. How was Hancock village to stay?

Pittsfield...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weekend w/kids

Hancock Shaker Village is having a country fair this weekend, a great place to visit with kids. Also the Berkshire Museum in downtown Pittsfield has a great mummy exhibit as well as an aquarium and art.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weekend w/kids

There's a farm/store in Williamstown that has a petting farm the kids migt enjoy. Look up Green River Farm. MassMOCA is an outstanding contemporary art museum kids love too (great museum store, upside down trees, big open spaces and a special project area just for kids). The Barrington Brewery in Great Barrington is a great place to go for lunch with kids (who also enjoy Cove Bowling across the street). There are also a couple of good pub options at nearby Jiminy Peak.

Vestal
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: weekend w/kids

We stayed at Vacation Village (it's a timeshare place). I'm not sure if they rent out rooms like a hotel. Other than listening to the timeshare-talk, the stay was fine. I didn't enjoy having to clean the room--another perk of a hotel is the beds get made and you don't have to worry about taking out the garbage, stripping the beds, etc. The pool was nice (heated) and they have a small playground and swingset. They also have a small game room (some shooting video games i didn't care for, but otherwise fun). They have a small nature walk on the property, but we didn't get to go for a stroll. Also, no creamer/sugar for coffee in the room, so took a short stroll to front lobby in morn for coffee--that would've been bad if our room were further away.

As i was looking into things to do, i noted that a lot more was going on this weekend. The shaker village festival and also, IOKA farm was opening up. That looked like fun.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
672 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weekend w/kids

Did you check out Jiminy Peak at all and their kids' activities?

10. Re: weekend w/kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2011, 04:16