We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best town?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
309 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Best town?

My wife and will be heading up from Northern NJ this weekend and she wants to be able to walk around in a quaint town with shops and restaurants - Lee, Lenox, Pittsfield...any ideas would be great...this will help me choose where we stay...perhaps a place with a view..if you have ideas for this..feel free to let me know...we are considering the Berkshire Mountain House if that is not too far...

oh, we will have our 7 month old daughter with us...

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best town?

Hi, Pittsfield & Lee are nice but not all that scenic. Lenox is beautiful. Stockbridge is also a great choice. They both have wonderful downtowns. I am not familiar with the Berkshire Mountain House or Stephentown. Take a look at this website- it has a lot of info on it:

http://www.berkshireweb.com/home.html

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best town?

I'll vote for Williamstown....also close by is North Adams. Both have nice art museums, B&B's, Mt. Greylock...etc...

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best town?

Don't choose Pittsfield. I agree with Lenox, Stockbridge, Williamstown is great (but the farthest north of all these towns). Another town at the southern end of the area, that is really lovely, is Great Barrington. It has a lovely main street with shops and restaurants. I think of all these towns, the "grande dame" is either Lenox or Stockbridge. But they are also quaint, and not large. any of those four towns will fit the bill.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best town?

Hi,

I have been over to Stephentown, just once, and it doesn't have a quaint, walkable area with shops, restaurants, etc. I went there on Route 43, and while it was very scenic and rural, there wasn't much to the town itself. If I recall, there was a gas station, a store, a fire station, a post office and a couple of other places and that was it. If there was more to the town then I missed it, but I think I was on the main road in town.

If you want a very quiet, secluded stay within driving distance into Mass, then go for it. But, if you want a more walkable town with the things your wife is looking for then the 4 Mass towns mentioned would be a much better choice.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
309 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best town?

Thanks for the help...we ended up not being able to go as our daughter got sick, but I am keeping these posts....

Thanks again...

6. Re: Best town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2011, 05:18