We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goffs and Essex...museum? Place to get grub?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
Save Topic
Goffs and Essex...museum? Place to get grub?

Hi everyone!

I'm going to Lake Havasu City, AZ this winter and thinking about a side trip to do in a day. I see that it takes about an hour and a half to drive to Essex, CA from LHC.

While reading about Essex, I discovered that Goffs is a ghost town. And Essex is nearly a ghost town. Can people confirm that?

From what I gathered, there is a small museum in Goffs (it is a renovated old schoolhouse)...is this correct? Are there people working there or is it self-guided? What is the cost?

Also regarding Essex, I heard there is perhaps a place to get some grub, called Hi Sahara Oasis. Yes?

Thanks very much in advance for really any information you guys can give me about Goffs and Essex...as there is very little out there. But I'm interested in ghost towns and little hole-in-the-wall places, and the history. Thanks!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,406 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goffs and Essex...museum? Place to get grub?

Not a whole lot in either Goffs or Essex. There is the Goffs schoolhouse though.I would probably bring something to eat if you want to make a day of it.

If you are looking for ghost towns this is a good source.

www.ghosttowns.com

If you like rail and ranching history, try heading to the Kelso Depot with the Mojave preserve. Nice museum in there.

If you want an interesting bar near Havasu/Parker try the Desert Bar.

www.thedesertbar.com

Edited: 23 October 2013, 20:58
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,406 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goffs and Essex...museum? Place to get grub?

Other info.

www.mdhca.org/visit-mdhca/operating-hours

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Goffs and Essex...museum? Place to get grub?

Thanks so much for the info!

What is Essex like?

Does the gas station still exist there? Do they serve food? We do not need fancy food.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goffs and Essex...museum? Place to get grub?

Hope DannyS is reading this. He knows a lot about Goffs Schoolhouse. Some interesting ruins along R 66 are Goffs General Store and Country Kitchen, Essex Cafe and market and Roadrunner's restaurant. Don't miss Amboy and Roy's Cafe, the (expensive) fuel pumps is open.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goffs and Essex...museum? Place to get grub?

If I remember correctly from when I drove that way a few months ago, there is a bar and grill along the south side of the road in Essex.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goffs and Essex...museum? Place to get grub?

Yes, I’ll be glad to help.

Dez40 already gave you the website for the Mojave Desert Heritage and Cultural Association (MDHCA). Whew, what a name!

Those hours given may not be concrete. It is better to call on the phone and/or e-mail a day or two in advance to tell them when you’re coming. They will be very happy to show you around.

They will give you a brief explanation of the history and operation of the museum. They will give you a brochure and map showing you all the outdoor displays. Plan on an hour to tour the indoors on your own and at least an hour or more on the outdoor displays. You will be amazed at what they have collected over the years.

They do not have a fee to enter. What you should consider is to give them $ 20.00 to buy a t-shirt or one of their books. They will be very happy with this. Or, for $20.00 you can sign up for a one year subscription to their newsletter which is surprisingly packed with information. I always bring a bottle or two of wine and give it to them. They don’t get out much.

They keep that place locked up tight. Don’t be surprised if you show up and have to ring the big school bell at the entrance to get someone’s attention to come unlock the gate.

I don’t recall any business establishments in Essex.

You’ll be driving through Needles to get there. Buy your gas and food in Needles. There’s even a Dairy Queen in one of the gas stations. In Needles is a very cool train station (closed) and a small worthwhile museum across the park. The museum is not big enough to have its own website but this should help: www.needleschamber.com/thingstoseeanddo.htm

For something else interesting to do in that area try finding the Mystic Maze.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goffs and Essex...museum? Place to get grub?

You know, I guess that place I'm thinking of was just down the road a bit from Roy's on the opposite side of the road. I'm kind of hazy about it though. At the time I was driving along kind of quickly to get to Las Vegas.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goffs and Essex...museum? Place to get grub?

Thanks Danny!! Mystic or Topock Maze.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goffs and Essex...museum? Place to get grub?

How about a postcard?

cardcow.com/122489/…

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goffs and Essex...museum? Place to get grub?

Awesome Danny!