We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions? French family w/ 9- and 12-year-old.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
139 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions? French family w/ 9- and 12-year-old.

I am trying to help a friend in France plan a vacation in late-July/early-August. They will be here for a month (lucky French), flying in to NYC on 7/20, spending time in the city, and then up through New England into Canada. Before they fly out of NYC on 8/15, they want to spend a week at the beach. Right now their plan is to come all the way down to the Outer Banks of NC. Of course, I love the Outer Banks, but I'm trying to convince her that she's crazy to try to cover so much ground. I'm going to suggest that they take a place on the Jersey Shore, but have NO IDEA where to recommend. As noted in the title of this post, they are a family of four with a 9-year-old boy and a 12-year-old girl.

Any suggestions?

Bucks County
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions? French family w/ 9- and 12-year-old.

We always go to Ocean City, NJ. Our family includes 2 14 year old boys, a 13 year old girl, a 10 year old boy and a 5 year old boy. They all love OC. The beach is great, you can rent a really nice house and the boardwalk is the best. As a bonus, its a dry town so that limits the number of unruly folks. Besides the beach, there is jetsking, fishing and crabbing on the bay all for a reasonable price. There is tennis, basketball and a skateboard park too. We bring bikes and ride everywhere but you can rent by the hour, day or week. Go to the OC forum on this site. You will get alot of info there. Good luck.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions? French family w/ 9- and 12-year-old.

I would also have to recommend Ocean City as a great Family Friendly town to come to with kids. Great boardwalk and without liquor there is no questionable behavior on the boardwalk at night. A short ride over the bridge to lots of great eating place where you can have a glass of wine or a beer with your meal.

They best act fast though because it is already late to look for August rentals in OC so it's time to make a decision!

Nj
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions? French family w/ 9- and 12-year-old.

Another vote for OC, perfect for families, and they could take "day trips" if they want. They could visit Atlantic City if they have the opportunity to have an adults evening, Cape May, even wildwood if they wanted to take the kids on bigger rides thatn what OC offers. I would recommend contacting local real estate brokers to rent an apartment or condo for the week, as opposed to a hotel room.

Work, Beach or...
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions? French family w/ 9- and 12-year-old.

You might want to rethink Ocean City. I don't know if people from France can have a meal without wine! It's just part of their culture, not that they 'need' alcohol. I heard on the news that many summer rentals were still available due to the economy. Check out Long Beach Island, Point Pleasant Beach, and Southern Monmouth County (Manasquan, Sea Girt, Spring Lake, Avon).

LuvBreezes

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions? French family w/ 9- and 12-year-old.

There are ample opportunities to have a drink with dinner just over the bridge in Somers Point as well as in the privacy of your own lodging so I have never seen this as a problem in Ocean City. As to your assertion that there are may summer rentals available, I would suggest that may be more of a news story...at least in OC...then reality. As with the past few years, there was a very early and strong rental season again this year and many owners are fully rented. I would suggest that while some places are having trouble, Ocean City is not one of them.

Work, Beach or...
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions? French family w/ 9- and 12-year-old.

Frank - I wasn't implying OC was where there were rentals available, I just said "summer rentals". That is why I suggested other locations.

To quote you, "there was a very early and strong rental season again this year and many owners are fully rented". If finding availability is going to be a problem, that's even more the reason to cross OC off the list.

Finally, I would NEVER suggest someone drink and drive, especially those unfamiliar with their surroundings. Do they even drive on the same side of the road as us in France? I think they'd be better off someplace with dining options within a walkable distance.

LuvBreezes

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,564 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions? French family w/ 9- and 12-year-old.

I love Cape May. I know during the summer many people from Quebec make CM their vacation spot. During July & Aug. you can hear french spoken all over. You can order wine& beer & mixed drinks. You can also go over the bridge to Wildwood and you'll find a boardwalk & rides.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions? French family w/ 9- and 12-year-old.

Please!

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions? French family w/ 9- and 12-year-old.

Cape May would be a lovely trip, but it is the furthest you can go in NJ and they are flying out of NYC. If they were flying out of Philadelphia it would be more convenient.

Here are my thoughts: If they want more northern, and are content with a quiet, less busy beach vacation, they should think about Spring Lake. Pretty town, more convenient to NYC. Can get to Point Pleasant for a day trip for a more active boardwalk experience.

Moving south, Long Beach Island is 19 miles long and has several towns from pretty, quiet Loveladies to more active Beach Haven, which has summer theater, shopping, biking, mini golf etc.

Then I also agree with Ocean City if they want the boardwalk experience for their kids. It is busier, more built up and it is "dry" which can be a positive or negative depending on their point of view. It is close enough to AC if they want a day trip to check it out.

Some other things to think about: Are they locked into flying out of NYC: Newark is closer to the NJ shore, and Philadelphia is actually closer to many of the shore towns.

Also have you thought about either a New England town (Nantucket, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Block Island or Watch Hill (in Rhode Island) are all very nice beach vacations or even the Hamptons-which would make the most sense if flying out of NYC.

Post again if these responses generated any thoughts or more questions, or if you can give us a better idea of how far they want to be from the airport, if they will have a rental car, and what activities they are interested in.

10. Re: Suggestions? French family w/ 9- and 12-year-old.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 17:18