We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

summer vacation at the shore

NY
1 post
Save Topic
summer vacation at the shore

I would like to plan a summer at a beach town on the jersey shore. I have a 13yr old boy who's sports participation are swim, basketball, and skateboarding. Can anyone recommend that he might find enjoyable an entire summer?

Work, Beach or...
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: summer vacation at the shore

For a kid his age, I would suggest either Long Beach Island or Ocean City. They are both family-oriented in that families spend a lot of time there, rather than a town like Seaside where you get a big turnover every weekend. They also have a lot to do, especially LBI since it is so vast.

Good luck,

LuvBreezes

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: summer vacation at the shore

On LBI there is a pretty consistent pool of families that stay the summer so there is the opportunity to make friends with peers. Both Beach Haven and Long Beach Township run 'Lifeguard in Training" programs (I believe starting at 13 in Long Beach Township and 14 in Beach Haven) which consist of fitness, running, swimming and of course lifesaving/guarding which would keep him busy and allow him to meet peers regardless of whether he intended to become a guard.

There are 5 yacht clubs on the island that provide sailing and some provide tennis instruction to members. Those are Little Egg Harbor Yacht Club (Beach Haven), Spray Beach, Brant Beach, Surf City and Barnegat Light. Some have Junior memberships, some family. there are usually social events for the teens as well.

The Saint Francis Community Center (in Brant Beach) runs several programs, including some drop in programs. See: www.stfranciscenterlbi.com

He may also be interested in a part time job (think scooping ice cream, working at an arcade) which he can do at 14 with working papers.

There may be more opportunities that I am not thinking of, so I recommend also visiting www.lbi.net for forums/topics on lbi communities.

3. Re: summer vacation at the shore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2010, 06:17