We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Day Trip to the Jersey Shore

Ohio
Level Contributor
124 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
2 Day Trip to the Jersey Shore

My husband and I (from the midwest and in our mid 20's) are planning a 2 day trip over the weekend in the middle of September to the Jersey Shore and we need help deciding where to go and what to do. We will have a car.

We are definitely foodies and enjoy a great meal. Would love to try some fresh seafood. We have heard some good things about the buffets in Atlantic City-are they worth visiting?

Also, we are not big gamblers so we hesitate to even bother going to Atlantic City. Or is it worth going to for other reasons?

We also enjoy the ocean and beach (we don't plan on swimming) and just walking around town and sightseeing.

We are not big party animals but would possibly enjoy a place with some nice nightlife.

Any iteniary ideas?

Also, please recommend places to stay such as B&B's and hotels that are affordable (around 100-150) but nice.

TIA!

Work, Beach or...
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Day Trip to the Jersey Shore

I wouldn't recommend going all the way to Atlantic City of you're not in it for the gambling. That said, it is a fun town with several excellent restaurants and the nightlife you are seeking. You could easily spend two days hitting up all the 'attractions' of AC, that is, walking the boardwalk, shopping, a sunset happy hour, and many other things to do besides gamble. The buffets are not all that, the Borgata and Harrah's are the nicest but probably not what you're looking for.

Anyplace on the Jersey shore is going to be expensive on the weekends. For B&Bs, check out the Monmouth County area (Ocean Grove, Spring Lake, and Sea Girt). The nightlife around there centers mostly on Belmar and more recently, Asbury Park. This is a great area to visit, a weekend will fly by and you will still not see half of what there is to do.

Just be sure to read up on all the reviews before you book anything, and remember you have to take what some people say with a grain of salt!

Have fun,

LuvBreezes

Ohio
Level Contributor
124 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Day Trip to the Jersey Shore

Thanks for the advice! What do you think of the Cape May/Wildwood or Ocean City areas? Are these better areas to focus on?

Work, Beach or...
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Day Trip to the Jersey Shore

It really depends on what you want to do. To stay in a nice B&B, on or near the beach, having some good restaurants to choose from, and a little nightlife, you do not need to go all the way down there. The weekend traffic is murder, and you will get the same options further north. Are you familiar with any parts of NJ? I would start your search around Northern Monmouth County and go as far south as Long Beach Island. If there is somewhere in particuarly you want more info on, send me a PM and I will try to answer your questions.

FYI, if you're interested in going into Manhattan, check out a hotel in Atlantic Highlands called Blue Bay Inn. It's a boutique hotel near excellent restaurants and you can jump on the ferry to NYC. It's also close to the beach and the towns of Sea Bright, Long Branch, Red Bank, and Rumson. They are full of fun!

WV
Level Contributor
388 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Day Trip to the Jersey Shore

Great time to go! We have always gone to Ocean City - before kids it was dinner on the bay in Somers Point (Ocean City is a dry town) then walking around the boardwalk. Asbury Avenue is fun to walk around too. The ocnjha.com site has a variety of places to stay. We also have gone to Cape May numerous times. It's charming and has some neat restaurants and places to stay as well. Some of the Cape May posts here have lots of information!

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Day Trip to the Jersey Shore

Sep can be a great time to come to the Jersey shore. Some communities however, "close up" not too long after Labor Day. AC has good restaurants, shows but not great "walking around".

Cape May is a good choice and usually has a enough open for a fall visit.

Beach Haven on Long Beach Island has a small historic district with Inns and B&B's. See the Inn tab on this site for reviews of some. Also there are usually a fair number of stores open until Columbus Day weekend. It is easily walkable and the Surflight Theater puts on live professional theater well into the fall. See: www.surflight.org.

Enjoy!

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Day Trip to the Jersey Shore

Check out the Atlantis B&B in Ocean City - one of the shores best!

PA
Level Contributor
83 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Day Trip to the Jersey Shore

Cape May is wonderful!! There are so many restaurants, it is hard to choose. It is a very romantic place and there is a lot to see and do.

Ocean City is fun too, but it is geared more for families. Also it is hard to find a good restaurant IN Ocean city. I might get arguments here on the restaurants but we have tried almost all of them over the years and unless you go over the bridges you will have a hard time finding a good restaurant. We have gone there for years with our kids and rented a house each summer. It is a great vacation place.

We have stayed in almost every shore town from LBI to Cape May and we like the Avalon, Stone Harbor area too. That being said, when my husband and I go away by ourselves, we choose Cape May.

Everyone has their favorite New Jersey Beach and you will get a lot of ideas on this forum.

8. Re: 2 Day Trip to the Jersey Shore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2010, 05:20