We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Boardwalk should we choose?

T B
Averill Park, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which Boardwalk should we choose?

We will be staying in NJ this summer. We are going to Six flags & will be staying in a campground. Our issue is not knowing if we should get a site 1/2 way between Six Flags & Point Pleasant and stay for 5 nights or if we should stay near six flags for 2 nights & then pack up & head toward Ocean City or Wildwod for 4 nights b4 heading to Pocono PA? I hear nice things about OC & Wildwood but nothing on PP. We have 9 & 4 yr old boys gthat like to keep busy.

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
8,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Boardwalk should we choose?

I suggest Allaire State Park campground if you want an easy ride to 6 Flags and nearby boardwalks and beaches in the Point Pleasant area.

nj.gov/dep/parksandforests/parks/allaire.html

Bass River, and also Belleplain, are good choices if you want to be closer to Wildwood and/or Ocean City.

nj.gov/dep/parksandforests/parks/belle.html

nj.gov/dep/parksandforests/parks/bass.html

All those campgrounds have a lot to keep most 4 & 9 year olds busy.

Here’s a link to some NJ boardwalk information:

funnewjersey.com/upload_user/NJ_BEACHES_SHOR…

Enjoy!

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,776 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Boardwalk should we choose?

I can't advise you on how to divide your time, but 5 days at Six Flags and Pt. Pleasant could certainly take up that time, particularly if you plan on enjoying the ocean and the beach. It isn't as big as Wildwood and Ocean City. They have rides, games, food, fireworks, an aquarium. etc.

If it were me, I wouldn't like the idea of packing up and moving after 2 days.

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
98 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Boardwalk should we choose?

I second Allaire and Point Pleasant. Much closer for you than heading down to Wildwood. The borough of Point Pleasant has lots of shops and restaurants too.

Especially if you are moving on to the Poconos after.

If you are there in late June, there is an annual re-enactment held at Monmouth Battlefield State Park. Unfortunately the visitors center is currently being revamped and so closed.

new jersey
Level Contributor
934 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Boardwalk should we choose?

Allaire State Park is one of the more underrated NJ destinations. The capmground is decent, but the attraction is the "historic village"- a recreated 1800's town where they have folks dressed in customs-including a balcksmith, carpenters shop and much more. They also have a recreated steam train that you can raide. It is only about a 15 minute drive to Point Pleasant Beach (depending on traffic).

PPB has an amusement park that is more geared towards the ages of your kids.

Six Flags is only a few exits away from Allaire also. Plus you are closer to the Poconos, than if you'd stay down near Wildwood. (There are camping options down that way that may put you closer to the beach though).

T B
Averill Park, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Boardwalk should we choose?

Thanks, We were wondering how the boardwalk was at PP. If thee was enough for the kids & if it was over crowded or run down at all?

Edited: 09 March 2012, 02:13
Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,776 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Boardwalk should we choose?

Pt. Pleasant is not "run down" and it will be crowded on a nice weekend. That's what happens in the summer.

Check out jenkinsons.com

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
139 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Boardwalk should we choose?

I agree with the Allaire State Park recommendation. Point Pleasant is known as the family friendly board walk (as opposed to Seaside Heights which is not).

Allaire and Point Pleasant is a very good way to go.

8. Re: Which Boardwalk should we choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 23:41