We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston vs. Myrtle Beach?

Saint Paul
3 posts
Save Topic
Charleston vs. Myrtle Beach?

My sister and I are planning a girls getaway from March 3-7, 2011. We're in our early 30s looking to relax a bit and hopefully enjoy the weather. Any suggestions on whether Charleston or Myrtle Beach would be a good fit? Any places you'd recommend we stay? Trying to stay away from the spring break crowd if we can. Thanks for your help!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleston vs. Myrtle Beach?

Two totally different experiences, can't be compared, depends upon what you are looking for...

Charleston is a historical, beautiful walking town w/walled gardens and homes that have been around for several hundred years. Charleston is low rise w/many boutique type hotels. Charleston is a foodies paradise (which many times is part of the criteria for a girl's trip). There are lots of varied tours, both walking and bus, also carriage rides. Charleston Cooks has a fabulous cooking class that is very fun. There is tons of boutique shopping on King St. The waterfront park is a great place to relax your tootsies, after walking for several hours, enjoying the sites, then a short stroll to the rooftop bar at the Market Pavillion, prior to dinner at a top-notch restaurant..

MB is high-rise hotels , mini golf, seafood buffets, theme-style parks and outlet style shopping.

Nothing against MB, lots of people love it, but as I stated above, you can't really compare.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,297 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston vs. Myrtle Beach?

I agree - they are 2 completely different places. MB is very family oriented, with lots of kid activities and lots of bars and party spots for the college crowd. Lots of high rise hotels and condos, t-shirt and souvenir shops.

In Charleston (and the beaches of Isle of Palms, Sullivan's Island and Folly Beach) buildings over 3 stories are not permitted. The beaches are just as nice here and less crowded. (altho neither will be crowded in March)

Growing up we always went to MB, but it has changed so much that I no longer really enjoy it, but that is just me, lots of people love it.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston vs. Myrtle Beach?

Depends on if you want a casual beach trip or a city experience with nice restaurants, etc. I love both types of trips, but early March would be Charleston for me. I would save a beach trip for a later in the spring or fall.

Saint Paul
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston vs. Myrtle Beach?

Thanks for the great feedback, looks like Charleston is the place to see! If you have any lodging or food recommendations, please feel free to send them along. Thanks again!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charleston vs. Myrtle Beach?

Tell us more about your likes and we'll be able to help more...what do you want to eat, how much do you want to spend (both food and lodging, $$ amounts, not "reasonable"), what do you like to do (outdoors, museums, plantations, etc.)???

More info please!!!

Saint Paul
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Charleston vs. Myrtle Beach?

Looking for a great trip on a budget, $100-$150/night for a hotel perhaps? Definitely enjoy the outdoors, eating, would like to go to a spa for part of a day, engage in a little history (although will pass on museums). We are open to all types of food (italian, seafood, mexican are a few that come to mind). If there's any local food, that would be fun. Should we rent a car? If it's possible to stay at a place w/in walking distance that would be preferred (and we would be willing to pay a little more for that). Do you know what the weather will be like during that time? It's got to be better than MN right now!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charleston vs. Myrtle Beach?

I just looked at your dates on Travelocity and the only thing that's close (and I don't know anything about it, but it gets good reviews here) is the Anchorage Inn at $173.

Unless you're okay doing Priceline or one of the other discount sites, you're not going to get anything in the HD in your price range, do consider upping it a bit, it will be worth it and you won't need the car except for maybe one day, if you decide to do plantations.

Consider a cooking class at Charleston Cooks, tons of fun, they may have a Lowcountry class, would be perfect. Lowcountry is the local food, very fresh, lots of seafood, all the way from "down home" cooking to top notch haute cuisine.

Work on your hotel, then we'll help you w/what to do!!!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,297 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charleston vs. Myrtle Beach?

If you stay in the historic district of downtown Charleston you can pretty much walk everywhere. Would only need a car if you wish to go out to beaches, plantations, etc. Tons of great things to see and do downtown. If you have not already done so, go to the Charleston Forum page. At the top right is "Top Questions about Charleston". That will give you lots of suggestions and info about things to see and do. I would definitely spring for a more expensive hotel and skip the rental car.

Charleston has a number of excellent restaurants that serve "lowcountry" style food. This mainly revolves around local ingredients - seafood, local vegetables, grits, etc. Many people from the north say they don't like grits, but be willing to give them a try. The grits found in most of the restaurants are slow cooked in cream and are quite delicious. Some of my favorites for restaurants are FIG, Magnolia's, SNOB (Slightly North of Broad) and High Cotton.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Charleston vs. Myrtle Beach?

You might like the Mills House. High Cotton, McCraddy's and Husk are great restaurants. Just stroll Bay Street and you will discover great places for drinks and dining. Amen Seafood is great. Go to Middleton Place and Drayton Hall to visit old plantations.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,297 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Charleston vs. Myrtle Beach?

That would be McCrady's - only one D.