We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches and where to stay?

texas
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Topic
Beaches and where to stay?

I am thinking of vacationing somewhere along the coast in South Carolina with my 2 children ( 14,11) and my parents. I was wondering where should we stay. Would prefer some place very close if not on the beach and not too crowded that we can't enjoy ourselves. My parents will be golfing and th kids and I will do other stuff. Don't want to stay in a hotel but a condo might be doable. I have been looking on vrbo.com but don't know which area is nice and which beaches are pet friendly. Any help?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,898 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches and where to stay?

You might consider the Charleston area, the beaches would be Folly, Isle of Palm, Kiawah or Seabrook Islands.

If you go to the Charleston page, you can read about each of the beach areas in the Top Questions at the upper right of the page.

All the beaches will have rules regarding pets, especially if you are planning to visit during the summer months.

If you find that you might be interested in Kiawah Island (10 miles of beautiful, bikeable beach, lots of trails, kayaking, fishing, never crowded, etc.) try looking at Oceanwoods Homes...

www.beachwalker.com/WestBeach/oceanwood3.html

Great location, right across from the beach.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches and where to stay?

Pet friendly will depend on the time of year you visit. Kids would love Myrtle Beach & plenty of relatively inexpensive condos on the beach. Hilton Head Island is a little more upscale but still have activities the kids would enjoy and plenty of golf.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,686 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches and where to stay?

Both Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head will be more crowded than the Charleston area beaches.

texas
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches and where to stay?

Thank you for all the info, we are planning to go sometime in July.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,898 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches and where to stay?

Definitely, you would find the Charleston beaches less crowded in July...that's peak tourist season!!! Plenty for all to do in the Charleston area!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches and where to stay?

In July I would definitely not recommend Myrtle if you don't want crowds! I've seen many pet-friendly condos in IOP and Folly Beach on vrbo.com.

7. Re: Beaches and where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 22:15