We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go? Looking for suggestions...

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
130 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go? Looking for suggestions...

Couple mid 40's looking to spend about 5-6 days in Coastal SC at the end of June. Can't decide between Hilton Head, Kiawah Island or Seabrook Island...or another place? We like lots of outdoor activites, biking, boating, great beaches and a resort type atmosphere with a lovely, large pool area. Also good food, and some kind of nightlife, listening to a good band, dancing..but not interested in Myrtle Beach. Any ideas welcome.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,519 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go? Looking for suggestions...

Kiawah might be the place for you, but you'll have to do some homework to find a place that you can rent for less than a week in the middle of summer. Unless you stay at the Sanctuary (the only hotel on Kiawah), most rentals begin their Sat/Sat or Sun/Sun at Memorial Day and it runs that way through Labor Day.

The Resort has several nice new pool areas which are opening in June. You can see all the Resort has to offer here...

www.kiawahresort.com

Not much in the way of nightlife on Kiawah, itself, but there are certainly evening activities several times during each week over at Freshfields and at Bohicket Marina (shopping, dining, outdoor music, etc.), which are both just off island.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
130 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go? Looking for suggestions...

Oh, I didn't realize Kiawah was mostly weekly rentals like in the Outer Banks, NC. I will look at the resort you mentioned..perhaps there are less pricey options on another island..

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,519 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go? Looking for suggestions...

All the Charleston area beach accomodations work the same way throughout the summer (Folly, Sulliivan's, Isle of Palms, Kiawah & Seabrook). You can look through VRBO and see if you can make something work through a property owner, but usually, unless you plan on a weeks stay, you will pretty much have to stay in a hotel for less than a week.

Check out Wild Dunes on IOP, there are no hotels on Seabrook. Folly Beach has Tides, but FB is a more relaxed environment, not the resort type feel. If Endo shows up, she can give you all the info about the hotels on IOP.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go? Looking for suggestions...

It's true that most rental homes and condos rent only by the week during the summer.

That said, the price (weekly rate) may work for you if you plan on staying 6 nights, with arrival on a Saturday or Sunday. Owners and managers don't care how long you actually stay, so long as you pay the "weekly rate" and don't overlap into another rental week.

You can also save money in a rental home by preparing some meals at home

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
130 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go? Looking for suggestions...

I looked at Wild Dunes website..they had no available rooms the whole month of June.

What about Hilton Head? Does that meet our requirements as described above? Anybody?

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go? Looking for suggestions...

Hilton Head may suit your requirements very well! HHI is busier (has more night life, etc.) than most of the Charleston area islands, but is no where near so over-developed as Myrtle Beach. HHI is further from Charleston than the other islands you mentioned, but you can easily vist Savannah or historic Beaufort.

Try posting on the specific forum for Hilton Head, where local experts are more likely to see and respond to your question - tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g54273-i170-Hilton…

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go? Looking for suggestions...

Not sure where the OP was looking on the Wild Dunes website. I just plugged June 16-23 at the Inn and found plenty of rooms.

Perhaps if OP were searching for stays under 7 days, it showed no availability??

FWIW, I'd suggest limited search on a weekly basis only--Sat to Sat--as this is what is typical for the Charleston beach areas, HHI, etc.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
130 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go? Looking for suggestions...

I looked again and saw some rooms available, niot sure why it didn't show up at first. Does anybody know the promo code to enter on the Wild Dunes web site for a discount?

9. Re: Where to go? Looking for suggestions...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2013, 10:28