We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Civil War History

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
480 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Civil War History

Hi All,

Not sure if this is a good place to ask this.

Before we arrive we'd really like to do some reading on the civil war and I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good book that would give us an overview of the causes of the war and the war itself. Preferably something that's not too dry!

I think we'll enjoy exploring the history more if we have a background knowledge to place it in. We didn't study it at school (in Scotland), so really looking for something that's complete.

Thanks

Susan

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Civil War History

Start with wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War

The bibliography lists some comprehensive works, but many of them are dry. John Jakes' Trilogy is great:

http://www.johnjakes.com/northandsouth.htm

You could also get "Gone With the Wind".

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,900 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Civil War History

Gone With the Wind does not really address historic issues leading to the war, but it is an awesome book and how I got my name! :-D

My dad is a major war buff, I will ask him what he suggests.

Edited: 31 March 2013, 11:33
Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Civil War History

While it's not a book, the filmmaker Ken Burns did a five-section miniseries on the Civil War which is one of the best and most balanced interpretations of the war itself. You may be able to find sections on YouTube or order via Amazon (just ensure DVD is in your global section). I believe a book was made of it as well.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Civil War History

A second vote for Ken Burns' exceptional documentary. Arguments still continue today regarding the underlying causes for the Civil War, and many of the books tend to take a view slanted one direction or another. The documentary did a very good job avoiding that. Even if you don't watch the entire series the first (and maybe the second?) episodes focuses heavily on the circumstances that led up to the war.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,900 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Civil War History

Good Job suggesting the Ken Burns documentary!! Sorry I did not think of it myself. It is excellent!

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
480 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Civil War History

Thanks All,

I've bought the Ken Burns documentary from Amazon (got a great deal), and I've also got Gone With The Wind. It's one of those films I've always meant to watch, so this seems like a good excuse! Watching tv as research, this is great!

Hopefully they will be arriving in the next few days, good job we've got awful weather over here so we can do all this 'research'!

I'll also have a check out of Wikipedia.

Thanks

Susan

7. Re: Civil War History

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 05:17