We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Beach to Try Next Year?

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
258 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What Beach to Try Next Year?

We love the quiet South Carolina beaches for family vacations. We went to Kiawah once and Edisto twice. We liked the biking, lack of people, and ability to see natural areas on both islands. Edisto's casual vibe is more to our liking which is why we stayed there twice, but we enjoyed Kiawah too. I tell the family that we need to try all of the islands so we can figure out where to retire. So my question is, which island beach to try next year? I was looking into Fripp but am open to any and all suggestions.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,401 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Beach to Try Next Year?

Most of the other beaches will be much busier than Edisto and Kiawah. The Grand Strand (North Myrtle Beach, Myrtle Beach, Surfside, etc) tend to be very crowded in the summer. They allow high rise hotels and condos, leading to much more crowding. The Charleston area beaches (Folly, Isle of Palms and Sullivan's) do not allow any type of high rise and are less crowded. They do have many rental houses and condos, few hotels available for rentals. Folly has one hotel, IOP has 3 and Sullivan's has none. Seabrook Island (adjacent to Kiawah) also has no hotels.

If you go to the Charleston Forum page and look to the right side of the page for Top Questions About Charleston.... there is a section called Which Beach is Best. It will give you detailed info on the Charleston area beaches. Sorry ~ I don't really have info about Fripp.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Beach to Try Next Year?

The old section of Pawley's Island (the island between creek and ocean) and the old creekfront section of Murrell's Inlet are incredible, but there are very few availabilities. Garden City Beach has much the feel of Edisto, even though most buildings have been replaced since Hugo (1989). The May River beaches near Bluffton have a go-to-hell feel like Edisto, but the area has been so terribly swallowed by development ...

Still, as someone who grew up at Edisto Beach, I feel very familiar when I get to the shore at Bluffton, even more so at Lands End on St Helena Island.

3. Re: What Beach to Try Next Year?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 07:15