We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Storyland & Kids Travel Question

Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Storyland & Kids Travel Question

Hi! I want to take my daughter (age 5) to Storyland. I realize it does not open until Memorial Day weekend and is only open weekends until Father's Day. My travel plans are flexible...any suggestions on when to go to avoid heavy crowds? We're from Georgia and have never been to this area - I'd welcome any thoughts regarding a 3star or better spot to stay in the area that's kid friendly (i.e., heated pool, play area) as well as 2 or 3 suggestions on other attractions that would be a good fit for her age. There appear to be many great quaint towns; I don't have a good feel for how far apart they are and basic logistics (must study up on mapquest)....Thank you!! :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
829 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Storyland & Kids Travel Question

midlandmom,

If you can come mid-week rather than on the weekend, the crowds will be a little lighter. A few other great things to do with children include the Cog Railway that goes up Mt. Washington (or you can drive up the Auto Road) and the Conway Scenic Railroad. There are a couple of mini-golf places in North Conway, and the Mount Washington Valley Children’s Museum in North Conway as well. There are often events being held in Schouler Park in North Conway - concerts, fireworks, and little circuses - so I'm sure you could find plenty to do with a little one!

For a hotel I'd suggest the Best Western Red Jacket in North Conway, or take a look at some of the great inns in Jackson if you'd like to be a little out of the way and in a quieter area. There are so many hotels, and many of the larger ones have pools. Take a look at what's available, and feel free to ask about any of them.

The towns are not far apart at all; traffic can be a little heavy especially in the middle of the day, but there are a number of back roads that you can use to bypass the worst of it.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Storyland & Kids Travel Question

I believe that the closest hotel/motel is a Best Western Storyland. It is right next door. I have not stayed there so I can't comment on the accommodations but since it is a best western, I would expect it is comparable to other similar places. Seasons at Attitash rents condos and has a heated indoor pool. Nordic Village is another condo rental with indoor and outdoor pools and beautiful grounds. Another comment, the Cog Railway is great fun BUT I don't know how well your daughter sits for a long time and it is an 1 1/2 each way and is only 20 minutes at the top. You can buy tickets in advance but on a cloudy day (which most are) it is a long ride in the fog so it would be my advise to wait until you know it is clear. Other options, drive yourself up the Mt Wash Auto Rd. Or take the Glen Ellis stagecoach (van). That is a much shorter trip to the top, great info from the tourguide/driver. It also is only a 1/2 at the top unless you take a van before 9:30 and then you get an hour. Still not long but much better than the other alternatives. Check out the various websites. Lots of neat things for a 5 year old from easy hikes like Glen Ellis falls, Flume Gorge, N. Conway railroad, etc

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Storyland & Kids Travel Question

Hi midlandmom

If you stay at the Red Jacket they just opened a indoor water park called kahuna laguna. There is also a indoor waterpark at I think the Hampton Inn. If you stay anywhere in N Conway you'll be close to Storyland. As far as Nordic Village goes their prices have gone through the roof. They are around 300.00 a night. Although the grounds are beautiful the condos are old. We used to stay there all the time but I wouldn't anymore. Attitash is okay but we were hounded by people wanting us to go on a tour. You can also go to Clarks Trading Post or Santa's village. I'm sure they all have websites. It's a beautiful area. Enjoy!

Barre, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
144 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Storyland & Kids Travel Question

We stayed at the Seasons at Attitash last year, and will be staying there again this year. Nice condos for a reasonable price. Plus, an indoor pool, and a small playground, and a 5-10 minute ride to Storyland.

Ft Lee, NJ
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Storyland & Kids Travel Question

A couple of suggestions, not necessarily three- star, except for value, but if you're flexible, might be worth checking out.

The Villager Motel,in Bartlett, about 10 minutes to Storyland. It has a pool and a play area, plus a large "campus." It also features the Saco River in its backyard, a quick walk. If the water is at the right level(summer) there's usually a beach area. My kids, 3&5, loved playing in the streams etc, when we stayed there a few years ago.

The Gale River Motel in Franconia, not close to Storyland, about 40 minutes, but close to many Franconia Notch attractions (Clark's, Polar Ice Caves,etc).

Great pool & play area for kids & tremendous views of the mtns.

Probably not worth it if you're going to Storyland more than once, but if it's just one stop and you'll be in the area for a few days, it might be worth considering. Stayed here more two years ago and it was great!

Both have websites.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.

Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Storyland & Kids Travel Question

Thank you for the feedback!! I appreciate the advice and I'm diligently google-ing them all!!

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Storyland & Kids Travel Question

Jackson, Glen, Bartlett, North Conway and Conway are all in the same neck of the woods. Jefferson is a hefty drive away (BIG mountain in between) But in Jefferson you have Santa's Vilage and Six Gun somthing er other. I would suggest a seperate hotel stay if visiting up there. Same idea down in Lincoln. Lincoln is to the west also on the other side of a giant mountain. Lots to do and see there as well.

Story land is wonderful and is a refreshing change from the Six Flags Super parks that can be indimidating to the little ones.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Storyland & Kids Travel Question

My kids love Santa's Village which is about 60 miles north of Glen,NH or Storyland in

Jefferson, NH.

http://www.santasvillage.com/

A tip for both Santa's Village and Storyland enter after 3 PM and pay full price for your two or three hour visit depending on what time the park closes and get a full admission for another full day for free.

Boston
Level Contributor
185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Storyland & Kids Travel Question

We usually stay at more budget-type places when we go to Storyland (Perry's Motel, Will's Inn, both of which we loved) -- but many of my friends have loved Nordic Village. It's very close to Storyland, so you might want to check it out. Also, that's a great tip -- go after 3 p.m., scope out the park, have a few rides, and return the next day for free. It's ideal when you have little ones ... they don't tire as easily.

Finally, Santa's Village and Six Gun City are great, but you might be a bit amusement-park weary, so consider a visit to Diana's Baths (a great little hike, with a babbling stream for swimming) or Echo Lake, or maybe the Tram to the top of Cannon mountain ... a drive/hike along the Kanc? There's so much to do!

Have fun.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Storyland & Kids Travel Question

We really loved the Fox Ridge Resort, which is owned by the same folks as the Red Jacket down the road. The rooms are simple, clean and reasonably priced. I reviewed it in detail on this site.

This trip, (June), we will stay at Seasons At Attitash, in a 2-bedroom unit, as we will have the grandparents along too. This has kitchen facilities too - easier for a 4 night visit.

We went to Story Land last year during the "customer appreciation" weekends, which saves you a couple dollars, but they are not quite at 100% operation yet, and it was a bit chilly for the water stuff.

Breakfast at Glen Junction at the corner of 16 & 302 is a must. PANCAKES!!! Bigger then your head and cooked crispy on the edges. Do NOT have breakfast in the park.... nasty. Every other food selection we had was GREAT and reasonably priced, but breakfast.... they have not perfected it yet.

Get answers to your questions about White Mountains