We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The dreaded moose question....

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
546 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
The dreaded moose question....

As you can all tell from my increase in posts to the NH forums, I am going to be traveling up to Jackson early in October.

Last time I was here, the only moose we saw was the large stuffed moose at the Flume Gorge visitor center. I drove along the Kanc.... early, late... quietly, slowly, etc.

We also wound up driving way into the Great Wilderness (I think that is what the area is called) up Rt. 3? With no luck.

Am I at least in the correct areas? I have seen moose before, walking the bogs, and even swimming... so I know they exist!

Any tips on where and when I may catch a moose or two? I know to be careful when it says moose crossing, I respect the large creatures.

Thank you, I am so excited to be up in the White Mountains again.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The dreaded moose question....

You probably drove by a whole bunch of them and never saw one. Unless their close to the road or in a clearing, their color blends into the trees which as you know, NH has alot of. I would suggest driving up rt 16 past Berlin. If Tazman sees this post he can give you some places as he is very familiar with that area.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The dreaded moose question....

Here is a great site for moose information and pictures

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96613237@N00/3688122569/

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
546 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The dreaded moose question....

When I was up there last year I went on a LOOONG drive, somewhere- I just don't remember where.

However, Berlin sounds familiar - we drove along this road that passed by a lake and had construction for miles. How's that for helpful?! hah.

BTW - Thanks for the great moose website. I cannot wait to eat moose (haha)!

How about fields, any particular fields that the moose (not chocolate) are known to roam?

Thanks!

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The dreaded moose question....

This subject just came up on TA about a week or two ago. The recent discussion about seeing tons of them was about Coos County further north of No. Conway, NH., so just check the various sites out on it below. Especially the article about the 10 things locals do NOT tell you! They're good tips for spotting them, there's some great tours on there too:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g46186-i527-k30702…

Early in October it starts to get more crowded due to the foliage season. So may be if you try to check out the creatures during the week it might just work out better for you.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
165 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The dreaded moose question....

OhmZoned-

Just piping in as requested for the Moose Looking locals.

A few choice places along NH Route 16 between Berlin and Milan, but by far the best viewing will be between Milan and the ME boarder just north of Errol which will bring you right by here.

I've said this before, the NH F&G numbers indicate that the Moose population on the eastern side of the state is hihgher than along Route 3 - But, with population being lower and the a vast section of open ME as our Neighborhood that all makes sense.

The Gorham Moose tours are still running, once per day, and you can explore yourself in this area, if you know when and where to look as well as having patience!

Travel Well

Tazman

Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
112 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The dreaded moose question....

We usually have good luck early morning or at dusk on Rt 16 from Jackson to Gorham (if you do it at dusk, have dinner at Libby's in Gorham).

We see hundreds in the early spring/mud season. There aren't any leaves on the trees and they seem to be closer to the road (maybe to lick up the salt left on the roads from the winter season).

We don't see as many in the summer/fall because as the first poster mentioned they are there but hidden by the leaves. Drive slowly, let the people behind you pass and you may get lucky!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,555 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The dreaded moose question....

We were at a party last Saturday at a friend's home in Snowville. She has a big place on about 3 acres and a huge field where we partied late into the night. About 15 of the 250 attendees camped in the field overnight. After everyone was bedded down, we had a visit from a lone moose, in the field, right outside one of the tents! He stayed for almost 15 minutes according to the report I got in the morning. MrsRedPony and I were provided accommodations inside the main house, so we missed the up close encounter 8-(

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The dreaded moose question....

Your best bet is to go up to Pittsburgh aka "moose alley." The best time see them is at sunrise and sunset. I personally think the best and safest option is to go at sunrise as you have more workable light. However in the end it is all about timing. Have fun and good luck.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
52 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The dreaded moose question....

My husband and I visited the White Mountains in early June this past summer (and absolutely loved it and look forward to going back!).

We were able to spot 5 moose along Route 16 north of Milan after 7:30-8pm. It was a long drive for us (we stayed in Lisbon), but well worth it. Unfortunately, we also did see one dead moose along Route 302 just before Crawford Notch State Park.

10. Re: The dreaded moose question....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2010, 06:20