We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report- Part 2 - New Hampshire

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
193 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report- Part 2 - New Hampshire

Hi -

Here is the second edition of our trip.

We left Boston on Monday late morning and stopped in Portsmouth, NH for lunch at De-Angelo's. We wanted something fast and we don't have them in the Midwest. We really enjoyed our sandwiches and talking to one of the guys working there. Very friendly people!

We set out again toward the White Mountains. (Got a kick out of two different signs in NH - the moose crossing signs and also the buckle up law for those under the age of 18. We found it amusing that only the young are required by law to wear a seatbelt! :)

We arrived in the area around 3:30 or so and decided that rather than checking in to the Wild Cat Tavern and Inn right away we would head to the Mt. Washington Auto Road. The weather was clear and beautiful and we wanted to take advantage of it. I am not one who is normally afraid of heights and I really didn't think the road would bother me. Wow, was I wrong. I was terrified! Just from where I was sitting in the car on the passenger side - it seemed as though we were about to tumble down at any given second. I kept asking my husband if he was sure he had enough room. Towards the second half of the way up I was almost hyper-ventilating. Looking back on it I know I over-reacted, but it was terrifying to me. I honestly don't know how it is that more people have not died on that road. At any rate, I am glad that we did it and the views were amazing! I tried taking in the views on the journey up, but I was too scared. We walked around the observatory and loved the views - it was clear when we got up there. But we were inside the gift shop/museum for all of 15 minutes and when we came out the summit was covered in clouds. I must say that the ride down was not as bad - probably because we were more on the inside of the mountain. We did pick a perfect time to head down the mountain - it was pretty late by that point and no one was coming up anymore for the day so we nearly had the road to ourselves.

After the auto road we checked in to the Wildcat and freshened up for dinner. We decided to go to the Thomspon House Eatery. We didn't have a reservation, but we saw that we probably should have had one on a Monday night. But we had a beer at the bar and didn't mind the wait. The food was excellent. We ordered crab cakes as an appetizer, my husband ordered a steak, I had an eggplant dish, and we had apple-blueberry pie for dessert. Everything was great, including the service. We then headed over to Red Fox for a beer and to watch the end of the Monday Night Football game, then off to bed.

Tuesday a.m. we woke up early - it was our ziplining canopy tour in Bretton Woods. It was a beautiful morning, the sun was shining and it was a perfect day for it. We stopped at Madeline's on the way out of town for some muffins and coffee - the best blueberry muffin my husband ever had! - and we ate on the way. We made it to Bretton Woods right on time and we signed our life away for the tour. Let me just say that this was the highlight of our trip and I would do the ziplining tour again in a heartbeat. I was nervous and scared, but we had two guides who were amazing, and we had a fun group of 5 other people. You really get to know everyone over the course of the 4 hours and we had a blast. They showed us what to do and put us at ease and it was an amazing experience. Worth every penny. The sites were unreal, too!

After the canopy tour we headed over to Fraconia Notch. We stopped at the Basin and then to the park where we had a quick bite to eat in the visitors center. Nothing special, but we were hungry and for cafeteria-style food the sandwiches were good. We then went to the Flume and took the 2 mile hike around the area, seeing the old covered bridge and the pool - it was really beautiful. It started to rain a bit while on the hike, but we didn't mind. We were happy that we had the sun while we ziplined.

After our hike we headed down to the Lincoln area and went to the Woodstock Inn, which had been recommended by my husband's friend who loves beer and who is from the area. We really enjoyed the brew pub. We set out again, this time taking the Kanc. It was beautiful, but my only regret is by this time it was going on 6:00 p.m. and it was starting to get dark. We saw almost all of it, but the weather had turned very cold and even though we stopped one or two times to enjoy the sites, we were freezing and the sun was starting to go down. I wish we had headed out on the Kanc just a little bit earlier to enjoy it fully.

We came back to the hotel to freshen up, then went back to the Red Fox for their 2 for 1 Tuesday night pizza deal. We really enjoyed it and wanted something a little more economical after Monday's dinner. We then returned to the Wildcat and headed to the tavern where Hoot Night was going on. It was a really fun time. There were performers of all different ages and styles of music. Unfortunately for some of the performers, the ballgame was also playing on a few TVs and a lot of the audience was paying more attention to the Red Sox game than them. It was nice that after Hoot Night - and a few drinks - we only had to walk upstairs to our room! :)

Wednesday morning was our last day in NH before the long drive to Bar Harbor. I got up a little early and enjoyed coffee outside and took a nice walk around the property. It was another beautiful fall morning in Jackson. We checked out of the hotel and went to Yesterdays where I ordered the pecan pumpkin french toast (amazing!!) and my husband had the blueberry pancakes, which he enjoyed. The staff was very friendly and the place was not crowded at all - I think we always miss the rush because we are typically night owls on vacation and late risers in general. Our waitress gave us directions to Jackson Falls because we wanted to be sure to hit them before we left town.

Wow. Jackson Falls was one of our favorite spots of the entire trip! When we arrived there was no one there. We parked the car and walked up to the top of the falls and took a ton of pics. We also walked down as far as we safely could. It was so peaceful and relaxing and beautiful. I could have sat there all day long, looking at the town and the trees and the water. We reluctantly left the falls, then headed to the Jackson covered bridge one last time where we took a few pictures. It was time to leave.

While we were there we also enjoyed the pumpkin people! Although at night these life-size figures were quite freaky, especially when you are driving along in the dark and you think they are actual people! The Blue Man Group pumpkin people were our favorite!

Other than the short time we had on the Kanc, my other regret is not having the time to see Arethusa Falls, but hopefully there will be a next time. We loved the colors, the zipling, the friendly people, the clean air, the quaintness of it all....and I am happy we chose the town of Jackson. I could have stayed in NH a lot longer and am hoping to return next fall!!

Thank you again for all of your help!!!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,110 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report- Part 2 - New Hampshire

Very nice. The benefit of self driving MW is you aren't limited as to how much time you spend at the summit. My wife won't so I have to walk up to have that extra time :)

Jackson Falls is great. Come in the summer when there are lots of folks swimming there.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report- Part 2 - New Hampshire

Sounds like you guys had a great time. Thanks for taking the time to post your report. Makes me wish I was there.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report- Part 2 - New Hampshire

Thanks for the report. Come on back, Chicago's not that far. Jackson and the area is great during the winter with all the inn's, stores and restuarants lit up in colorful lites.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report- Part 2 - New Hampshire

My favorite time of year to visit.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
655 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report- Part 2 - New Hampshire

Loved your trip review...even if it seemed you enjoyed the food too much!!

Can someone let me know if the Zip thing is open all year!? and is there an age limit ?

And sorry for my stupidity and being english but what are these pumpkin people?

Level Contributor
1,440 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report- Part 2 - New Hampshire

Kimij - I'm not absolutely sure what a pumpkin person is, but I bet this is what the poster is talking about. We saw this in Jackson last year. I pulled this image from flickr. com

…flickr.com/3033/2917205910_55a1535422.jpg…

How's that for a little bit of your home, right there in NH?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,204 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report- Part 2 - New Hampshire

The pumpkin people are stuffed and dressed characters using pumpkins for heads. The link above was one of my favorites from last year. The creators do an incredible job every year and it's just one of the bonuses of visiting Jackson in October.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
655 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report- Part 2 - New Hampshire

Red Rox thanks for sharing some of your photos on another post....so looking forward to my visit in a couple of weeks...now added to my list of must sees is a pumpkin person!!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
193 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report- Part 2 - New Hampshire

kimij -

Yes, the Bretton Woods canopy tour goes all year long. Also, the minimum age is 12. It was amazing!! Here is the link:

mountwashingtonresort.com/activities/canopy_…

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,996 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report- Part 2 - New Hampshire

Glad you had a great time in the White Mts. The leaves were just beautiful when we were there!!!