We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

maine to Burlington VT via kancamagus

Maine
Level Contributor
112 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
maine to Burlington VT via kancamagus

In a few days I'll be driving from Maine and want to take a scenic route across NH and up to Burlington. How are road conditions on Kancamagus, and does anyone have a somewhat direct route from east to west? Thanks

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: maine to Burlington VT via kancamagus

Would help to know where in Maine you're starting from.....answer to your question about routes will vary depending on your starting point... Bottom line: Going east-west in northern New England isn't easy because the major mountain chains run north-south... But if you can tell us where you're starting in Maine, may be able to suggest a couple of routes.

Maine
Level Contributor
112 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: maine to Burlington VT via kancamagus

I'll be crossing ME on 25 and likely in to Conway... thanks

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: maine to Burlington VT via kancamagus

The Kanc is plowed and gets its share of winter traffic. Make sure you won't be heading into a snow storm. As MOTG said, there are other scenic routes.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: maine to Burlington VT via kancamagus

Guess I'd offer up a couple of choices, depending on how much you really want to travel "the Kanc" and/or get to Conway....

The Kanc is a narrow, twisty, curvy two-lane road at the best of times -- can get downright nasty, as Taz suggests, if you hit it during a snowstorm. But if you need/want to go that way, I'd take 25 from Maine to Conway, 112 (the Kanc) from Conway to Lincoln, north on 93 thru Franconia Notch to I-91 North to US 2 west to Montpelier and I-89 to Burlington.....

If you don't have/want to tackle the Kanc in winter (not my favorite thing to do), I'd suggest 25 to Conway, US 302 north thru Crawford Notch (Bretton Woods can offer a great view of Mt Washington on a sunny winter day) to 93 north to I-91 north to US 2 to Montpelier and I-89 to Burlington. US 302 north of Conway is scenic, but is a wider, better road than the Kanc, especially if the weather is "iffy."

One other option, if you really don't need to go to Conway or drivce the Kanc, 25 into NH, then NH Rt 25 to I-93 west of Meredith, I-93 north to I-91 to US 2 to I-89.

Because of the mountain ranges that run north and south, finding good roads that run east-west can be tough - especially in the winter. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

Maine
Level Contributor
112 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: maine to Burlington VT via kancamagus

Thanks Mainer. I think 302 is a better option than the Kanc, too. Just watched the news and now we're expecting snow Tuesday, when we're heading out. Though we need it, I just don't want to drive through it for a long period of time.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: maine to Burlington VT via kancamagus

If it does end up snowing the day you want to go....and you're not tied to Rt 25 from Maine to Conway, NH....I'd even think about going up to Portland or North Windham (depending on where you're starting on Rt 25) and taking 302 from there to North Conway, then on to Burlington as previously discussed.

302 from Portland through Bridgton offers the same advantages in Maine that it does in NH -- wider, better built road than Rt 25 (and perhaps getting better attention from the snowplows and salt/sand trucks if things get really bad). Just an alternative to consider if the weather turns nasty,

7. Re: maine to Burlington VT via kancamagus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2010, 05:17