We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first week of April - with kids

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
first week of April - with kids

we plan a week in the area at the first week of April. we know some sites\roads might be close at that time

what do you recommend with young kids?

we like hiking, they love any nature activity and have good hiking skills

can we even get up the mountain at this time of the year?

we're thinking about getting a place around the lakes area for the week and use it as an exit point. any recommendations?

and last question is Maine - anything within reasonable driving distance for a one day trip? we think about Portland (heard some good things)

thanks!

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first week of April - with kids

In the first week of April, mountain activities will be downhill skiing. Seriously, you should not under any circumstances consider taking anyone on a hike in the woods. Trails will have snow on them and be very mushy from the melting winter snow.

The summer attractions that young kids enjoy will likely all be closed for the season.

Wish I could be more encouraging, but last year, just as an example, I was still skiing in the thrid week of April, and my attempt at a walk in the woods ended in about 10 minutes.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first week of April - with kids

Good advise from lmm. If you do decide to come up, what type of lodging are you looking for - price, size, etc. Some attractions will be closed but the roads are well taken care of and rarely closed.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first week of April - with kids

Good advise from lmm. If you do decide to come up, what type of lodging are you looking for - price, size, etc. Some attractions will be closed but the roads are well taken care off and rarely closed.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,182 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first week of April - with kids

Some activities could be ziplining at Bretton Woods, tram to top of cannon.

Other mountains also permit pedestrians to buy a ticket to the summit.

Not sure if someplace like Diana's Bath is packed enough for a short hike to the falls. The hike is relatively flat and only 1/2 mi each way to what should be some fast running falls at that time.

If you snowmobile, that should still be available and cross country skiing.

1st week in April can be great or rainy, no telling.

Edited: 28 February 2010, 15:59
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first week of April - with kids

If you get a bad-weather day, which could happen in early April, consider taking the kids to the Mt Washington Observatory Weather Discovery Center (you can Google it for info about what's there, but it's geared to both children and adults). It's on the north end of the downtown business district in North Conway -- across the street from the Eastern Slope Inn.

From North Conway, Portland is about 65 miles....I'd allow between an hour and three-quarters and two hours travel time.... Some of the on-line mapping companies will show you a slightly shorter route that involves a variety of routes down through western Maine. But part of that area got clobbered by a heavy winter storm this past weekend and the combination of snow, rain and wind raised havoc with roadsides, some culverts, etc. I'd take the slightly longer route and stay on US 302 all the way from North Conway to Portland....better road, built to better standards, and better maintained because it's a major thoroughfare through the western Maine area. If you time it so your arriving in Portland sometime after 9:00 so the morning commute is over, it's not a bad drive.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
165 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first week of April - with kids

BrooklyBoy -

FYI - Newlaw1 is incorrect re snowmobiling, Trails close (Mud season) in March and reopen in late April for 4 wheeling.

The weather can as he stated be great or a complete washout with heavy rains - remember "April Showers brings the May flowers" this can be the case in the Mountains of NH. With that said, the Farmers alamnac is indicating a pretty nice spring - Relatively! In additon, you can almost always count on a rouge snow storm as well, perhaps this would be viewed as something to look forward to watching.

Only those roads that are closed for the winter will likely remain closed, not many that I am aware of state wide.

Check the specific ski locations to see if they will shut down completely or provide Gondola rides to the top; less the skiing if winter loosen's its grip early and snow melts fast.

Travel Well

Tazman

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
165 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first week of April - with kids

Just wanted to add one more idea - You could visit a Maple sugar house, many provide tours and it is truely a "Sweet Exprience."

Had to do it!

Tazman

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,182 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first week of April - with kids

I am incorrect??? My string of perfect advice is broken? See me slink away.......

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
165 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first week of April - with kids

You are forgiven Sir!

I assume that your suffering from Snow Jag, seeing how the Northern Mid-Atlantic region STOLE all of Northern NE's snow this year - Keep shoveling!

Tazman

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: first week of April - with kids

thank you all

we're still struggling with the question. the kids have their spring vacation and we have this week off but if so many places are closed does it make sense driving all the way just to find we cannot do much?

we'll have to make a decision soon...