We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moose Tour Recommendation?

New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Moose Tour Recommendation?

We will be staying in the North Conway area and would like to take a moose tour. The three I am finding are Don's Moose Tours ($30/person) and Gorham Moose Tours ($25/person) in Gorham and the Mt. Washington Valley Moose Tours ($28/person) in North Conway. We saw the Youtube video of the Gorham Moose Tour, so know what to expect in general. Is there any reason to pick one of these tour companies over the other, except for price? (While the Pemi Valley Moose Tour gets great reviews here on Trip Advisor, it seems farther than we would like to drive.) Thanks for any help!

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moose Tour Recommendation?

People have driven up for years and have never seen one .Others see them when they least expect them. There are certain areas every year where they go and the tours follow. I've always felt that the farther north you go the better your chances are of seeing them. It's hard to predict. Farther north is my choice.You may consider driving yourself.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,094 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moose Tour Recommendation?

I almost always manage to see one or more moose on my annual visits to my home near North Conway. I would never want to go out on a 'moose tour' though. Not that I don't want to support small business people who run their tours, but we're talking about wild animals here. If they're really that wild, then it's more of a thrill to have a chance sighting as opposed to a 'set up' view. I know that the tour guides can't really set it up either. But unfortunately the only way they can prove that is to charge you money and then fail to find a moose that evening.

What I have been seeing more of lately is bears. This is somewhat disturbing as it indicates the bears are losing their natural aversion to people, and in doing so they are putting their own lives in danger.

We had one right here in my neighborhood in Sedona last week. Sadly, when wildlife officials finally caught up to him, the put a permanent end to his neighborhood strolls.

I have seen bears around North Conway every year for the last decade.

New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moose Tour Recommendation?

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate the "wild" in wildlife, since we have had bears in the area and we live only a short distance from New York City!

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moose Tour Recommendation?

Have seen more black bears this year then in the past. This past w/e a neighbor had their chicken coop torn apart by a bear who made off with some hens. Also lots of reports of bears in trash. Seems to be lots of sightings on Hurricane Mt Rd.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,094 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moose Tour Recommendation?

My house is on Hurricane Mountain Road...

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moose Tour Recommendation?

I'd definately suggest the Gorham Tour. The bus is newer, leaves right from in town Gorham.

The other one in Gorham you listed has a 15 passenger van, which if that's your style then you might want to go with them. The Gorham town run tour is going to be in a small tour bus which is more comfortable for most people.

Meredith, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moose Tour Recommendation?

I would recommend calling to ask what their sighting percentage is for the season before you pick one. Pemi Valley Excursions is the best, in my opinion, however I certainly understand that it may be a little further than you anticipated going (they have about a 96% sighting rate on excursions). Good luck!

New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moose Tour Recommendation?

Thanks, all! We have decided to go with Gorham. We are looking forward to it!

9. Re: Moose Tour Recommendation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2011, 05:16