We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ashland area not to miss

Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Ashland area not to miss

We will be staying in Ashland NH for 6 days in early October. Are there any not too miss places in the area. We have the gorge on our list plus a journey on the Conway Scenic Railway. We hope to do a Moose tour as well.

On a selfish side I will be dragging my wife out for a round of golf so a recommendation for a scenic course thats not too expensive would also be appreciated

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ashland area not to miss

I’m not sure what gorge you’re referring to—Flume? If so, that will take you to Franconia Notch, which should certainly be on your list.

Ashland is in the Lakes Region, which covers a lot of territory, but you will certainly want to do some touring in the area. I recommend Castle in the Clouds in Moultonborough (www.castleintheclouds.org/). Wolfeboro is a lovely town on Lake Winnipesaukee. You could take a lake cruise on the MV Mount Washington or one of its smaller sister vessels (www.cruisenh.com).

Center Sandwich, Tamworth, and Chocorua are beautiful villages tucked between the mountains and the lakes. In Center Sandwich, visit Sandwich Home Industries (nhcrafts.org/localsites/center-sandwich.htm). Be sure to travel a couple of miles north up Route 16 from Chocorua and find the famous viewing spot on the south shore of Lake Chocorua (turn left off the highway at the bottom of the long descent).

Drive the Kancamagus Highway. However, don’t do this or any of the notches on the weekend. You should be able to manage any of my other suggestions above without encountering much traffic congestion, but you might regret trying the main roads on an early October Saturday or Sunday.

Have a wonderful visit.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ashland area not to miss

P.S. I'm not a golfer, but there are some beautiful private courses in the area. I don't know about their policies for non-members/non-guests, nor do I know the fees. But you could look at:

Bald Peak Country Club (http://www.baldpeak.org/baldpeak-golf)

Waukewan Golf Club (http://www.waukewan.com)

Mountain View Grand (mountainviewgrand.com/activities_new_hampshi…)

A Google search would help you find public courses.

Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ashland area not to miss

Thank you that is really helpful. Yes it is Flume Gorge. Looks like we will have plenty to do in our short stay

4. Re: Ashland area not to miss

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 10:18