We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Mountain Day Trip from Jackson

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
238 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
White Mountain Day Trip from Jackson

We will have a day and a half in the White Mountains area. We will be driving from Portland to Jackson the morning of Sat, Oct 1.

My plan is to leave Portland early and drive to Jackson on Rt 302 through the Sebago Lakes area, maybe stop for lunch at Naples. We would then have a couple of hours in the afternoon to explore Jackson, maybe visit Jackson Falls.

I'm trying to decide on the itinerary for Sunday. If it is a clear day, I'm thinking about driving the auto road. Could we do that and still visit Franconia Notch state park the same day? Would it be worth it to drive back from Franconia Notch on the Kanc? Will the traffic be bad on the Kanc on the first Sunday in Oct? If so, I think we'll just drive back to Jackson on 302.

We are leaving to Bar Harbor the next morning, so Sunday is our only full day to do Mt Washington, Bretton Woods and Franconia Notch.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White Mountain Day Trip from Jackson

Having a few hours to explore Jackson is plenty of time. If Sunday morning is clear drive the auto road and after take 302 to the Littleton - Franconia area and drive back on the Kanc. Yes there will be traffic but it is worth it to see the foliage and landscapes on both roads. There may be a reduction in traffic on Sunday afternoon as many people come up for the weekend and will have left the area by that time.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
238 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White Mountain Day Trip from Jackson

Thank you. I'm really looking forward to this.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,111 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White Mountain Day Trip from Jackson

The round trip with 302 one way and Kanc the other is well worth it.

If you are staying near Jackson, maybe take bear notch road instead of 16 which is a nice ride. plus- miss NC traffic, minus is you miss NC.

Do stop at the MW hotel. flume gorge is a great attraction.

If you are hikers and you have the time then Arathusa falls should be running pretty good. If anyone knows if the trail isn't in good shape let me know.

Sabbaday falls along the kanc is a good alternative if you don't have time for Arathusa.

I like Bethlehem which is a neat little town on 302 just past twin mountain. some cute shops and places to eat.

4. Re: White Mountain Day Trip from Jackson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 11:17