We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Mountain and Vermont for 1 week in early October

Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Topic
White Mountain and Vermont for 1 week in early October

we are planning a 2 week trip to the USA, starting 1 October. We would fly into NY and then travel to see the changing leaves. We were thinking around a week in White Mountain and Vermont and a week in NY. We would appreciate advice on how to split the time, where to stay ( B&B or 4 Star hotels would suit us), how to travel there ( rent a car in NY or fly into an closer airport and then hire a car?)

thank you

2 Australian travellers

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White Mountain and Vermont for 1 week in early October

please use the search function for itineraries. I know you are going to come back and just say that confused you more. The reason is that there is no best itinerary and everyone travels differently. But, you will find hundreds of possible ways to see the area. No magic as to how you should split your time.

Your week in NY- do you mean NYC or some other area of NY as that would make a difference about airports although NY and Bos have the most international flights. No point in throwing out lodging names until you decide where you are going to be. There are also many many lodging options and reviews available which can give a better picture than the 4 or 5 regular contributors here. Be aware, that most b&b's will require a 2 and sometimes 3 day minimum stay at that time of year.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White Mountain and Vermont for 1 week in early October

Just a couple random thoughts/questions....

You are flyinig into NYC, would you also be departing from NYC? If so, that entails a loop. If not, Boston or possibly Portland Maine or Manchester are potential departure points.

Personally, I'd pick up a car in NY. You could certainly fly from NYC to Burlington Vt or Manchester or Portland or Boston, BUT it's not really that far a drive and compared to Austrailia, these states are tiny! Besides, there is some amazing scenery between NYC and points north, plus several different routes.

When you say you are spending a week in NY, is that a week in NY City? If so, pick your car up after your week in town.

The schedule of leaves changing will vary year to year, but early October your best bet is further north. Think Green Mountains in Vt and While Mtns in NH.

As I mentioned earlier, there are several different routes. You could head out of NYC due north, up rt 87 past Saratoga Springs, Glen Falls, maybe as far as Ausible Chasm and then a ferry across Lake Champlaign to Burlington Vt.

From there, take your time through the Mtns, maybe find a base around Montpelier or thereabouts for a few nights.

Evenually you'll make your way into NH's White Mtns. Once in NH, there is a nice loop comprised of the Kangamaugus Highway (RT 112), Rt 302 and rt 93. There are numerous places to stay and things to see!!! My favorites are The Flume and Mt Washington. Lots of scenery and small towns, covered bridges, etc... Makes sense to base yourselves here for 3 or 4 nights, IMO.

From there I'd head south around the Lake Winnepeasaukee. One of my favorite spots in The Castle in the Clouds (on the NE side of the lake).

Anyway, that's a basic outline. You should get a good map and work out distances on a Mapquest or something. From there, list out attractions and possible towns to stay in.

Hope this is useful.

Kevin

Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: White Mountain and Vermont for 1 week in early October

thanks for the feedback -much appreciated. To clarify: we will be flying into Kennedy NY City and would like to return to NYC after our 7 day trip to NH and Vermont. So my questions are: with 1 week to travel should we drive the whole trip or fly one leg so we can spend more time in the mountain areas?

We could delay our trip by one week if this would give us a better sight seeing experience - what would you recommend? ( I realise nature doesnt work to a calendar) thanks again

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White Mountain and Vermont for 1 week in early October

If you rent a car, there is no need to fly from state to state. From NYC to southern NH is a 4-5 hour drive. You may want to stop and check out southern NH, Vt and northwest Mass. There are also a lot of places in NY that will be worth a visit on will be on your travel route. In the Hudson Valley there are several estates and historical sites that will be open, including the home of writer Washington Irving, the Vanderbilt Mansion and FDR home and library both in Hyde Park, towns along the Hudson River, the home of Frederick Church Olana in Hudson NY, great apple orchards. The Berkshires in Mass are a good choice for day hikes with lots of towns. From there you can easily go to Vermont and visit Bennington, and the Bennington Museum which houses a Grandma Moses collection. The drive across southern VT on Rt 9 into New Hampshire can be spectacular. I would avoid the super highways as they really don't get you into the towns and you miss most of the best New England offers.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White Mountain and Vermont for 1 week in early October

Taconic parkway from NY to Berkshires for couple of days. North to VT then cross over to NH. Either Lincoln side or north Conway area. Check out the areas and make your plans. This is a broad stroke and you can fill in details. If you can fly into NYC and out of Boston you save some hours on return but may cost more with one way car hire.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White Mountain and Vermont for 1 week in early October

Here are three great lodging options in the heart of the White Mountains:

http://www.adairinn.com/

omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/BrettonWoodsMountW…

http://www.mountainviewgrand.com/

Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: White Mountain and Vermont for 1 week in early October

Thank you for your replies

Bristol, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: White Mountain and Vermont for 1 week in early October

Assuming a departure during the second week of October (your best bet), I would head for the White Mountains of NH first (consider I-91 through Connecticut and western MA, getting off the highway to visit historic Deerfield and then towards the Monadnock region of NH for an overnight stay before you continue on to the mountains, a good base for a couple of nights). Then, head west into Vermont and travel along the spine of the Green Mountains (possible overnights: Stowe, Manchester, Woodstock...) before arriving in MA's Berkshires (Mt. Greylock, Mohawk Trail, Hancock Shaker Village, Route 41 all worth your time).

Doing the trip in this order makes more sense to me, as the colors will arrive in the White Mountains before they arrive in the Berkshires.

9. Re: White Mountain and Vermont for 1 week in early October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2013, 10:20