We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scrambling hikes

Emmaus, Pennsylvania
1 post
Save Topic
Scrambling hikes

I would like to check out what the whites have to offer in the form of day hikes with large elevation change and lots of scrambling. I'm contemplating a few days up there late April. I find pleasure in extreme hikes with great views at the end. What should be on my to do list?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,534 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scrambling hikes

Liberty and Flume comes to mind from Franconia Notch.

East Osceola and Osceola is a good one from the Kanc.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
865 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scrambling hikes

Check the website for AMC or Appalachian Mountain Club. Definitely recommend using their maps which you can order through REI, AMC, LLBean or other outfitters. Please be prepared for all kinds of weather and scrambling may seem okay at the base, but can be treacherous at the top without adequate supplies. One day trips are really doable, But follow the AMC guidelines, please, for your own good health and protection.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
27 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scrambling hikes

The Huntington Ravine Trail up Mt Washington is the ultimate scramble. Mt Adams and Mt Madison have the largest elevation change--+4000 from any trail--and most of the routes have some scrambling (the Madison Gulf Trail especially comes to mind). Many of the peaks have great views--all the Presidentials, the Franconias, the Bonds, and Mt Carrigain especially.

Bostongirl is right--be sure to go armed with a map and trail guide and do not underestimate the Whites. They are rugged and the weather can change very quickly. The AMC guides are good preparation.

I know this is probably late for the OP but I'm including it for future reference for others.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scrambling hikes

Dear Ispahan: please try not to kill the visitors.

The OP (and many others) is very likely an inexperienced hiker. (Anyone who has to ask where the rock scrambles are is probably unprepared for Huntington Ravine -- and most certainly should be offered a different trail for the descent.)

If I'd only taken a map and a trail guide last time I hiked Huntington Ravine, I'd be dead.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
865 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scrambling hikes

Dear Loon Mountain Man, Amen! Be safe!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,534 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scrambling hikes

So true LMM!

Huntington's Ravine claims lives every year. Not a place for a first timer in the White Mtns.

7. Re: Scrambling hikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 22:15