We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best tramway in NH or VT?

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Best tramway in NH or VT?

I'll be spending several days in both New Hampshire and Vermont before going up to Quebec. I love mountaintop views but will be traveling with someone who doesn't like to hike, so one thing I'd like to do is take one of the tramways to a summit. Besides the Mt. Washington railway or road, I see trams at Cannon in the Whites, Killington and Mansfield in the Greens, as well as a few others. Any recommendations on which one(s) give the best views for the time and money? Do any of them have some nice, easy trails we could meander on after arriving at the top, versus just a lookout?

Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,859 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best tramway in NH or VT?

The Gondolas at Wildcat probably give the best views of Mt Washington. Cannon Mt is also a favorite.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best tramway in NH or VT?

One of the best views in the Whites does not require a gondola or a tram and has the bonus of optional best breakfast in New England (there are few other good ones, too). Drive Rte 137 from Franconia (the town) to Sugar Hill. Stop in front of Polly's Pancake Parlor and look out to your left (if you haven't been doing so already.) Awesome view of The Presidentials and much more.

Polly's makes the best pancakes - 5 batters, 4 add-ins, locally smoked sausage, bacon and ham, and real maple syrup. They get very busy, especially on weekends. Call to see if they take reservations or for their suggestion of best time to arrive.

But, you don't need to eat breakfast to enjoy the view.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best tramway in NH or VT?

As RedRox stated good view of Mt Wash as well as Tuckerman Ravine and on a clear day, Maine to the east.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best tramway in NH or VT?

Thanks! I was thinking of staying a couple of nights in Sugar Hill, so that's perfect.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best tramway in NH or VT?

Thanks, I hadn't looked into Wildcat yet!

Belmont, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best tramway in NH or VT?

You asked the question about tramways. The only true tramway in NH is the tram at Cannon Mountain. The others at Wildcat and Loon Mountain are gondolas. Loon Mountain runs their gondolas year round, for skiers in the winter and sightseeing in the summer and fall. Wildcat runs their lift with chairs installed in the winter and then pulls of the chairs and installs the gondolas for the summer and fall sightseeing season. Many of the other ski areas in NH run their chairlifts during the summer for sightseeing.

Since I ski a lot I have visited most of the lift-serviced mountain tops in NH and I find all the views impressive. The view from Wildcat looking at Mount Washington and Tuckermans Ravine are awesome, but I also think the view of Lake Winnipesaukee with it's 300+ islands from the top of Gunstock Mountain in Gilford, NH is pretty amazing also. Cannon Mountain's view of the surrounding mountains and the view of the highway winding through Franconia Notch is also interesting.

Since these are all ski areas, there are plenty of trails to follow and walk around on top. Also because they are ski areas you won't go too far before the trails start sloping downward quickly.

Whichever you choose, you won't go wrong.

7. Re: Best tramway in NH or VT?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 11:16
Get answers to your questions about White Mountains