We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Time Camping - What Town & What Campground

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1st Time Camping - What Town & What Campground

Hello - This is our first time camping - 2 adults, 5 children (ages 13, 9, 7, 3, & 1). We would like to camp in the White Mountains, but aren't sure where? Since we have children, we would like to be close to activities/attractions, but also want to be surrounded by nature, and do things such as fishing, (short/small) hikes, etc. We don't really want more than a 2 - 3 hour drive (coming from Boston). I was thinking of maybe the Lincoln area? It seems pretty central with a lot to do. For those with camping experience in the White Mountains would this be a good choice? Any other recommendations? In terms of campgrounds, we would be tenting, but do want water, restrooms, electricity, etc. since we do have the children. A coupld of places that I saw in Lincoln (ex. Big Rock) seem nice, but don't accept reservations... with 5 kids I would feel more comfortable having them... Thanks!

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Time Camping - What Town & What Campground

Not a camper but if you go to www.campsnh.com there is a lot of info on various sites along with reservation numbers.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Time Camping - What Town & What Campground

Thanks. I've been on a lot of the websites, and it is pretty overwhelming for someone who hasn't camped before...

Does anyone have any recommendations based on personal experience?

Thanks!

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Time Camping - What Town & What Campground

I stayed at Crawford Notch campground on 302 last summer. Its near North Conway for the older ones to shop minigolf etc. And its near story land for the younger ones. In addition there is a stream to swim in as well. As a warning they are strict about the rules, but in doing so they avoid the wild parties/drunkeness etc. that can ruin a family camping trip. You can drive the Kanc, go for hikes etc.

http://www.crawfordnotchcamping.com/

Methuen
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Time Camping - What Town & What Campground

Have camped many times, from tent to cabin to camper. Is it your first time in the mountains. In my opinion the North Conway side of the mountains has more to do especially with kids, I have 3 ages 13, 10, 8. I think you first need to narrow down which area you want to be in and them choose a campground. I would also recommend a campground with amenities such as pool, along a river or lake for swimming, hiking trails, etc. We like Saco river family camping on the conway side and Moose hill lock, has a great priate ship pool, on the Littleton side of the mountains. I would also suggest looking at campground you can rent a cabin from since you have never camped before you might enjoy the extra amenities!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Time Camping - What Town & What Campground

Thanks Carolyn and Familyagent. I will check out Crawfod Notch and Saco River.

Boston
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Time Camping - What Town & What Campground

Im not a super camper but I;'ve enjoyed camping along the Kanc. There are several campgrounds there. There's more to do on the conway side so stay at covered bridge, blackberry crossing etc then you can spend your days swimming along the kanc and then go out to dinner in conway. Or easy ride to story land, echo lake in conway.

i'm not a young kid by any means, but I still love to swim at lower falls off the kanc.

those campgrounds don't have electricity? at least last time I was there. and you'd have to call the ranger station. pretty sure there is at least one campground you can make reservations at.

7. Re: 1st Time Camping - What Town & What Campground

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2013, 10:15