We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

almost fall foliage - need some help

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
almost fall foliage - need some help

hello,

we are going to travel north-east usa between 19 september and 4 october. i understand that the dates are of almost fall foliage, and would like to increase the chance to experience it.

we are planning a circle trip from new york starts at 19 sept, but not sure which direction would be with a better chance for foliage.

here is the genaral plan and the relevant dates:

19-22 mystic+new port+boston

22-24 white mountains area

25-26 stowe + quebec (canada)

27-29 montreal and surrounding (visit freinds)

30-2 adirondack

3-4 hudson valley

the main question is if to change the direction and start with the adirondack. of course any other idea would be great.

thanks a lot,

have a nice week,

zoee.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: almost fall foliage - need some help

I don't really think the direction will make much difference. As I'm sure you realize, for the best autumn color, you want to be as far north as possible, but I don't see any obvious way to improve on your itinerary if you are locked into those dates.

You will certainly see some nice color, but it might not be very widespread.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: almost fall foliage - need some help

I would recommend putting NY, Hudson Valley and Montreal at the front of your trip. I am not sure what your Hudson Valley agenda is, but you may drop or squeeze it. For instance, You might go from NYC to Mystic, Boston, then up I-93 to I-89 through NH and VT up into Canada to Montreal. You will definitely see some colors as you come up through these northern areas, but they will more rewarding a week later. You can enjoy Montreal regardless of the foliage.

As you get cloxser to the end of Sept and beginning of Oct the colors will become stronger in the Adirondacks, northern VT and The Whites of NH. Come down from Montreal on I-87 into NY State. Do what you plan in the Adirondacks. Then take the ferry across from Port Kent, NY to Burlington, VT. Plan your time in VT and work your way across to NH, If you are in these areas from the Sept 27 to Oct 4 you should enjoy some pretty nice colors, even if it is not official "Peak". No one can predict exact foliage, but end of Sept thru about Oct 10 is usually a good shot for this northern tier.

The drive from The White Mountains to NYC, I am assuming JFK Airport, is an easy enough day drive, about 6 hours or so. Of course, when driving in/out/around NYC, day and time of day is everything. Try to avoid Rush Hour. Also, if you don't already know, foliage season up here is big tourism business. It is best to make lodging reservations as early as you are able to.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: almost fall foliage - need some help

I agree with wps and next. Sept 22-24 in the white's is not the ideal time for foliage based on history.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: almost fall foliage - need some help

I'd agree with others that you mayy be hitting it about a week early. That being the case, I'd leave it exactly as you have it. You won't have peak color early in your trip (maybe no color), but you may just about be hitting the Adirondacks and Hudson Valley at peak

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: almost fall foliage - need some help

Interesting to read additional comments. I had perceived Hudson Valley as the lower stretch, through the Catskills - south of Albany. A beautiful, picturesque and historic area. I don't think you will see significant foliage there on the dates you have in your original itinerary. But if you are thinking of the upper Hudson Valley, including and especially Lake George and Lake Champlain, then I would agree with Kevin's assessment of timing.

6. Re: almost fall foliage - need some help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 06:15