We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appalacian Trail next week for 6 daysstarting in Appelton

israel
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Appalacian Trail next week for 6 daysstarting in Appelton

We are 3 nen1 adult 63-our father and tow sons.

'We want totravet and tour THE APPALACIAN TRAIL

starting in Appelon wisconcin for' 6 DAYS,

we intend to do it next week

what will be the best way?

is it too cold to do it now?

can you help us in planning ?

thank you

Amit-Amikam-Nitzan

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Appalacian Trail next week for 6 daysstarting in Appelton

Amit,

I am a bit confused. It sounds like you are going to be in Appleton, Wisconsin. The Appalachian Trail does not go through or anywhere near Appleton. Perhaps you are going to be in Appleton and want to get to the Appalachian Trail and then do your hiking? Please clarify this.

The Appalachian Trail (AT) runs from Georgia to Maine, through North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. You would need to get to one of these states to get to the trail. That will be 500 miles or more from Appleton, depending on where you get on the trail.

Do you have maps of the trail? Do you know where you would like to hike it? Do you plan on hiking on the trail for several days? You will need to plan and be prepared with all the supplies if that is the case.

All that said, this is not an ideal time of the year for inexperienced hikers on the trail, except maybe for day hikes on some sections. Much of the trail is through the mountains of the Appalachians, where it is winter - cold temperatures, possibility of snow on just about any section, and already snow covered in many. In some cases the weather can be or become severe. If you are not experienced and well equipped, thi si s not the time for this kind of hiking, except, as I described, on selected sections and durng the daytime. And even then, you need to be prepared for unexpected weather.

That said, I don't know the AT well enough to suggest places where you could hike safely at this time of the year. Maybe some others can help you with that.

Good luck.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Appalacian Trail next week for 6 daysstarting in Appelton

If you are not already experienced hikers who have the proper weather-appropriate hiking gear, camping equipment, maps and emergency equipment, I would strongly suggest you make a different plan of some sort.

If you've posted this on the New Hampshire forum because you're considering part of the AT in New Hampshire, I can tell you from personal observation that the higher elevations of many of the mountains the trail crosses are already snow-covered -- or have had snow which is now melting and becoming ice overnights. Wind-chill temperatures on some of the summits have already been reported as being well below freezing.... and, even though you may only plan to be hiking during the day, unexpected events can occur and you'll need clothing and equipment to protect you from overnight temps "just in case." Many casual hikers get into trouble every year because they underestimate the conditions they'll encounter -- especially this time of year.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Appalacian Trail next week for 6 daysstarting in Appelton

Planning help.

Don't do it next week. Sounds like you are unprepared. You can do day hikes at many places but still need proper clothes etc depending where you will be and weather. you need maps and a familiarity with terrain. It is not smart to plan on spur of moment.

Boothbay Harbor...
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Appalacian Trail next week for 6 daysstarting in Appelton

May I suggest a good book, written by a guy who is, so far as is known, the only person to have hiked the entirety of the Appalachian Trail solely in the winter:

"Don't Die on the Mountain" by Dan H. Allen -- http://www.diapensiapress.com/DDOTM/

israel
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Appalacian Trail next week for 6 daysstarting in Appelton

Thank you all very much

I did not think about hiking I thought doing it or a part of it with a car

Is it possible ?

If it it is possible,in what parts .?

All the best

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Appalacian Trail next week for 6 daysstarting in Appelton

Hannah, the Appalachian Trail is a hiking trail. It runs almost the full length of the East Coast, from Maine to Georgia. So, naturally, there are plenty of roads that are near it.

If you want to take a driving tour next week that would provide scenery similar to what you would see if you hiked the Appalachian Trail, I would recommend the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive in Virginia and North Carolina. But you have to reealize that getting there from Wisconsin will take at least a day.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Appalacian Trail next week for 6 daysstarting in Appelton

That is a horse of a different color. You can't drive it as stated although there are many great scenic drives but am still not exactly sure where you will be.

israel
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Appalacian Trail next week for 6 daysstarting in Appelton

Thank you so much

We start at Appleton ,we have 6 days and we will be happy to know about scenic drives

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Appalacian Trail next week for 6 daysstarting in Appelton

Hannah

I think you need to fill in some info. You have six days to get from Appleton to where? The AT as we have said runs from GA to ME.

How long do you want to use to take this trip?

You really need to decide where you want to go/ what you want to do. You may need to post in the other states you are passing through for ideas. Also, do you just want to be in the car or do you intend to actually get out see things (museums, etc).

There is also a roadtrip forum which may be helpful.

We are better at tweaking or giving suggestions AFTER you plan your trip rather than actually planning the trip for you.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Appalacian Trail next week for 6 daysstarting in Appelton

All that neslaw1 says is true. Still, in this particular case, I will re-up with my suggestion of Skyline Drive (http://www.visitskylinedrive.org/Home.aspx) and/or the Blue Ridge Parkway (http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/).

These are famous scenic drives that closely parallel the Appalachian Trail. I'm not aware of anything comparable in New England (that is, roads that pretty much follow the AT), and the more southerly location translates to a likelihood of better weather and less of a threat of bad driving conditions (though neither of these is a guarantee).

The Blue Ridge and the Shenandoah Valley are gorgeous.