We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which route would you suggest for fall foliage photography?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
443 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Which route would you suggest for fall foliage photography?

Hi,

We booked accommodations in Lebanon, NH from Oct 4-6. First and last day is allocated for traveling (8hr drive) but we have all Saturday (Oct 5) early AM to late PM to explore the White Mountains area. I am a bit unsure though as to where exactly we should go. I read that Rt 112 through White Mountains from Lincoln to Conway is a must do and one of the prettiest roads for leaf watching. Would you agree? If so, what would be your suggestion as to how we should plan our route from Lebanon? Should we take 118 towards the mountains and Rt 112, or it's not worth it (no spectacular scenery on 118) and just head up I-91 [or I-93 (????)] towards 112 in order to save time?

And secondly, once we hit Conway, do you suggest we head North through the mountains and around, or the opposite - South towards the lakes region?

Neither me nor my husband have ever been to NH so it is very hard for us to judge what would be more spectacular during this time of year.

Note: our accommodations are in Lebanon for both nights.

THANKS!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which route would you suggest for fall foliage photography?

Do you just want to take pics from side of road or would you consider some short hikes?

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which route would you suggest for fall foliage photography?

re: heading south from Conway through the lake region

The truth is you can't go wrong either way. You'll hit great scenery everywhere.

1st suggestion: whatever you do, when you hit Conway, drive south on Rt 16 for appx 10m. Pull off to your right at Chocorua Lake. There is a small bridge between the Lake and a pond. Across the lake is the dramatic sight of Mt Chocorua. Then continue south up the hill for appx 1/4m. Before the summit on your right you'll see a field and (at least there used to be) a barn. You have the field, pond, bridge, lake and mountain framed for IMHO the best view in NH. Google images of Mt Chocorua...

re: route from Lebanon to Lincoln

I really can't help, I don't know that road between Lebanon and Plymouth. I'm sure it's nice. Another option is to drive north on 91 and 25 to Haverhill, then east on 112. This is the other end of 112 and is a nice stretch of road.

Suggestion 2: Once you are at Lincoln, assuming it's a nice clear morning, I suggest you continue north on 93. You might hit The Flume and/or The Basin (pretty much next door to each other). If you get an early start the Flume won't be open but the Basin will be and its free.

Suggest 3: If you do go to the Flume at the top of the Flume continue on the path to The Pool. There is a covered foot bridge along the stream, excellent spot and views! Then continue on and the path lead back to the parking lot.

Suggestion 4: Continue north, you're going to take the 93/3/302/16/112 loop. Why? When you reach the Mt Washington Hotel you'll have the morning sun lighting the hotel! Continue on, lots of pictures along the way.

Suggestion 5: When you reach Glen you have several options.

-> before reaching Glen, a couple miles after Mt Attitash there is a road to your right called Westside Rd (google map it) follow this road to avoid N.Conway and its traffic. Along the way is Diana's Bath. Nice walk (.6m, if I remember correctly). Pools, falls, etc... The further you go, you have to scramble a bit up the path over rocks, roots. Gets a little tough, but worth it for the pictures.

- just a little further on Westside Rd you'll see a road on your right which leads to Cathedral Ledge. Leave a donation at the box at the bottom. 5 minute steep drive and you are at the top. Appx 100 yards to the ledge, great views of N Conway. Scramble along the ledge appx 200 yard south and you'll find several step-like ledges, with an awesome view of Whitehorse Ledge.

-> Otherwise at Glen you can turn north on 16. Several miles up you can visit Jackson NH. Nice town and falls. COntinue north to MT Washington. You have an awesome sight of Tuckerman's Ravine. THen backtrack south. Back at GLen you can continue south on 16 into N.Conway and eventually Conway. I would backtrack about a mile to Westside Rd.

Suggestions 6 and then some: At Conway, turn west on 112 (The Kanc). Stop at The covered Bridge for pictures. Stop at Lower Falls. Basically stop often for pictures. Lots of hikes here too. As you continue and start to climb, you'll find 2 turnoffs. You can get pictures of the Swift River valley. Best of all, since it's afternoon by now, you'll see Mt Chocurua, Mt Paugus?, and others all lit up by that afternoon sun.

Continue on the Kanc back to 93. Maybe head north to the Basin or the Flume if you missed them earlier.

OK, that's a full day. Enough typing for now, I'll have to bookmark this answer and repost for the next guy that asks, LOL.

Enjoy, Kevin

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which route would you suggest for fall foliage photography?

It's up to mother nature but spectacular will be all around you as will traffic. If you are intent on seeing the White's then the Kanc rt 112, rt 302 and rt 16 through Pinkham Notch should be on your list. The regulars here will probably think I'm crazy with this itinerary but here goes.

Start early and drive over to Meredith and Lake Winnipesaukee taking rt 25 east to West Ossipee where you'll pick up rt 16 north.

A few miles up you'll come to rt 113, small intersection, blinking light, gas station on your right. Take a right and stay on 113 through Madison (great colorful drive) which will bring you back to rt 16 just below the Kanc rt 112. Drive the Kanc and then north from Lincoln to rt 302.

On 302 you'll drive through Bretton Woods, Crawford Notch, see Mt Wash and MW hotel and on to Glenn where you'll pick up rt 16 north.

A few miles up is the village of Jackson - covered bridge, 5 mi drive up Carter Notch rd past Wildcat Falls.

If you're adventuresome and have good brakes, drive up Tin Mine Rd to Presidential for a fantastic view of the valley and the town below. Stop at any inn, restaurant for a map of the pumpkin people as you drive around Jackson.

Depending on the time you can start for home or back on 16 north through Pinkham Notch and on to Gorham - then west on rt 2 picking up 115 and back to 93 south.

This is a lot of driving and I made no provision for stops, food, etc and with the traffic I'm not sure if it can be accomplished so you can delete as you see fit but one thing is certain. If you do this drive you will encounter "spectacular".

Hope you have great weather!

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which route would you suggest for fall foliage photography?

Just a little more....

re: Diana's Bath

If you are pressed for time or unable/unwilling to scramble up that path (you need decent health and shoes especially if it wet), I'd skip it. There is a decent enough picture once you reach the falls, but not anything you won't see elsewhere. the further you climb the better.

re: Cathedral Ledge

I should have mentioned 2 things. 1st, this is IMHO a must-visit. OK, it's not the Mt Wash Auto Road, but you get a mountain top view and experience for almost no effort!!! I like that! I've been up to the Conway area probably 100+ times over the years and except for winter, I visit the Ledge every, single time. 2nd thing, there is almost always people climbing the ledge. This is a real technical climb. You'll see lots of cars parked at the bottom of the ledge. Stop and check it out.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
443 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which route would you suggest for fall foliage photography?

THANK YOU GUYS A BUNCH!!!!!!!! These are some really awesome suggestions! You have taken all the internet digging and stress of planning out of my day, so now I only have to put all your suggestions together and see what works best for us. I really appreciate your time responding to my inquiry. I'll keep you posted as to what we did and saw after we get back from our NH trip! :)

Thanks!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
443 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which route would you suggest for fall foliage photography?

P.S. Neslaw1 -> Taking into account that we only have 1 day, I think it will mostly be slow cruising in the car with stops along the way. Don't mind hikes at all (we are physically very fit and enjoy outdoors) but we would be limited to shorter ones this time due to time constraints.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which route would you suggest for fall foliage photography?

dav4844, you're crazy.

Actually, you have what I consider a very good idea, but to anyone proposing to cover that stretch, I recommend one of two improvements over your route:

Best: In Moultonborough, at the Old Cuntry Store, turn left off Route 25 on Route 109. Follow 109 to Center Sandwich and turn right on Route 113. Take 113 and 113A through North Sandwich, Tamworth, and Chocorua, picking up Route 16 in Chocorua.

Better: Continue on Route 25 about 3/4 mile past the Old Country Store and turn right on Route 109 toward Wolfeboro. In about 3 miles or so, bear left on Route 171 and take it all the way to Route 16.

Both of these routes are a lot prettier than Route 25 straight to Route 16.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which route would you suggest for fall foliage photography?

Well you may want to consider, square ledge and lost pond with a short walk to glen ellis falls. And still have time for lunch in Jackson, visit the falls and maybe a short walk to Diana's bath or drive up cathedral ledge. Way less driving, great views of MW, and much more enjoyment. Less is more.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which route would you suggest for fall foliage photography?

wps -you are so right about the Sandwich area. Remick farm would also be a nice place to visit. If they had more time a drive through Wolfeboro and around the lake would be ideal. So much to see, so little time. Nice to have all these options.

10. Re: Which route would you suggest for fall foliage photography?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 05:16