We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain top access for non-skier day after Thanksgiving?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,177 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Mountain top access for non-skier day after Thanksgiving?

My husband was an an avid recreational skier -- if that makes sense. He loved long meandering type stuff and was more into scenery than speed. ANYWAY ... health issues put an end to it.

He would love to get top of a snow covered mountain again. We did the Cannon tram last summer, and it was good but not the same as in Winter. What he'd like the best is to be on Wildcat looking towards Mount Washington.

Do any of the ski areas accommodate site-seeing in the early season?

Edited: 02 November 2013, 00:33
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mountain top access for non-skier day after Thanksgiving?

I don't think it makes a difference whether early, mid or late. Many resorts have a single trip ticket but don't see anything on wildcat website. May have to call and ask.

Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mountain top access for non-skier day after Thanksgiving?

Wildcat runs the lifts until Mid October then they shut them down until they open for skiing.

They may be open the day after Thanksgiving (they are already making snow) in which case you could buy a lift ticket and just not ski.

Boothbay Harbor...
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mountain top access for non-skier day after Thanksgiving?

The trouble with buying a one-way lift-ticket and just not skiing will be getting down, as most areas are not set up for loading the chairlifts at the top (at least not during ski season). Best bet would be a place with a gondola, tram, or detachable chair.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mountain top access for non-skier day after Thanksgiving?

Well, I've never been there, but for as long as I can remember I've seen ads for the gondola rides at Wildcat. It's not a chair lift, and I can't think why the boarding process should be dramatically changed during ski season, other than enabling people to load their skis. So I'd be surprised if this were an issue. But calling them is probably the best idea, as I imagine Forgot has already concluded.

Boothbay Harbor...
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mountain top access for non-skier day after Thanksgiving?

Wildcat only runs the gondola in the off-season; for the winter they take the gondola cars off and put the chairs on to operate the lift as a high-speed detachable quad chairlift -- see skiwildcat.com/wildcat-express-scenic-gondol…

Belmont, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mountain top access for non-skier day after Thanksgiving?

Wildcat Ski area is across the valley from Mt. Washington and they are open for skiing now but they are not running there lift to the top yet. I am a regular skier at Wildcat. A disadvantage for a non-skier in the winter is that there is nothing at the top except the lift station and a ski patrol shack. No place to go into or deck to stand on, you are just on the top of the mountain.

The other place is Bretton Woods on the other side of Mt. Washington. There is a restaurant at the top of the Bethlehem Express High Speed Quad, but I don't know if it is open for the early season. You can stand on the deck to take in the view of the Mt. Washington Hotel, with Mt Washington behind it.

Although most places don't regularly sell round-trip tickets during the ski season, I am sure that if you called and explained the situation they would make an exception. Most places to have down-riders even in the winter because employees use the lift to get up and down the mountain. Bretton Woods is closing early today due to the weather but they expect to be open tomorrow, Thanksgiving Day. Give them a call on Thanksgiving day and explain your situation, I am sure they will help. This is their phone number: 603-278-3320

7. Re: Mountain top access for non-skier day after Thanksgiving?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 05:16