We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A One trip to White Mountain

New York City, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A One trip to White Mountain

Hi,

I live in providence, and 'am planning a one day trip to White Mountains in the coming couple of weeks, with my friend. We are in mid 20's. This is going to be our first visit.

I am interesting in good scenic drives, scenic views, and water falls.

Can someone please suggest some good places for us in the White Mountains to visit in a day.

Thank you

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A One trip to White Mountain

Go north on 93, exit #32, cross 112, stop and look at Sabbady Falls. Look at pretty views along 112. Do not drink coffee, you'll not have time to stop and pee.

(Really, you're insane. You'll be driving all friggin' day long. From Providence, it's 3.5 hours just to get there.)

New York City, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: A One trip to White Mountain

Thanks for the advise, we will probably stay there for a night. I would like to figure out the nice drives and places to visit, then plan the travel the tour for day or two depending on number of places.

I assumed that I can visit it in a day, looks like I am wrong and will probably plan for a whole weekend

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A One trip to White Mountain

Read some of the prior trip reports. Lots of options. Alot depends on how much time you want to be in car and how much outside. Scenic view Mt Willard. Cathedral ledge. Square ledge. Glen Ellis falls. Mt Washington. Lake winni. Jackson falls To many places not enough time.

New York City, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: A One trip to White Mountain

Thanks Neslaw, I am going through the prior ones.....

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A One trip to White Mountain

If you can manage it, a three-day trip (two nights) would give you a chance to get a good look and feel for the area. Drive up the first morning to lodging in Lincoln, North Conway or Jackson (all offering good access to White Mountains highlights). Spend the afternoon checking out "local" sights and attractions in whichever place you're staying. Spend the next day making a loop drive (in either direction) that includes: Rt 3 north from Lincoln through Franconia Notch (several attractions there like The Flume Gorge, Cannon Mountain Tramway, etc) to Twin Mountain, then US 302 through Bretton Woods to Bartlett and Glen (photo ops, maybe the Mt Washington Cog Railway), then NH Rt 16 through North Conway (maybe visit Cathedral Ledge or the easy hike into Diana's Bath), then NH Rt 112 (secnic highway) back to Lincoln. More than enough to fill the whole day, so you may want to pick-and-choose. Day 3: Morning catching up on anything else you wanted to do and haven't done yet, then afternoon drive home.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,998 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A One trip to White Mountain

Good advice from all. You really need at least a couple of nights. That would give you one full day. The other two days are pretty much blown getting there and back.

Edited: 14 April 2014, 01:01
New York City, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: A One trip to White Mountain

Thank you "Mainer on the Go" for the greater detail and plan. I will probably start Friday evening and return back Sunday evening....

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A One trip to White Mountain

TEJA -- Just noticed that your original post says "in the coming couple of weeks" -- please keep in mind that it is still late winter (cold and snow) in parts of the White Mountains.... Attractions like The Flume Gorge, Cannon Mountain Tramway, and others won't be opening for the 2014 season until sometime in May!! It would be too bad to drive all the way up there and find that the things you wanted to see/do weren't yet open for the season.... You can check The Flume Gorge, Cannon Mountain Tramway, Franconia Notch State Park, and other local websites (just Google the attraction you're considering) for their "opening' dates for 2014.

Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
391 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A One trip to White Mountain

Yep, we just woke up to another inch of snow this morning. Make sure to go through the lakes region on the way to or from The White Mountains.

10. Re: A One trip to White Mountain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 06:16