We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bennington vs Manchester

Melbourne
Level Contributor
22 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Bennington vs Manchester

My husband and I are doing a short road trip from Boston with my mother when we visit the US in September and are thinking about heading to the Green Mountain area for a short stop. We were looking for somewhere quaint but also somewhere we can go out somewhere nice for dinner. The main purpose of the trip is to see the turning leaves. We have looked at a number of B&Bs and Inns but have narrowed it down to either Bennington or Manchester. Although my mum likes to shop we were not wanting to go somewhere that is all about the shopping. Any suggestions on town choice? Thanks in advance for your help.

5 replies to this topic
Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bennington vs Manchester

What are you dates in September? That is normally too early to see the changing foliage, but if it's the very end of the month you may have some luck in higher elevations and/or swampy lowland areas.

Manchester is more geared towards tourists and does have a focus on shopping. Bennington is larger, more of a working-class community, with some nice restaurants and things to do in the area. Since they are only a 1/2 hour apart, either would be fine and you could spend some time in both towns over the weekend.

Another option closer to Boston is Brattleboro, an even smaller community with a cute/real downtown. Wherever you stay you'll probably want to take a drive into the mountains to try to catch some changing color.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
22 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bennington vs Manchester

Thanks for your response. I thought I might have been a bit early but we are going in the last week of September so fingers crossed we have some luck. We really like the look of the Inn at Manchester if Manchester is a better option. Maybe we will have a look at Battlebro for accommodation as well. I really appreciate your assistance.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
22 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bennington vs Manchester

I have just had a quick look at Battleboro and our Lonely Planet also recommends this location. If we decided to stay there instead of Manchester would we still need to drive into the Green Mountain area towards Manchester to have any chance of seeing the changing of the leaves? I only ask this as the following day we are heading to Cape Cod for a couple of days and want to limit the travel time for my Mum. Thanks again for your help.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
464 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bennington vs Manchester

The Inn at Manchester is wonderful; I've stayed there twice.

Here's a beautiful place kind of between Manchester and Bennington that has great views. The owner told me that they tend to get early foliage color there due to the mountains, and they have a restaurant in the inn:

http://www.deerhillinn.com

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bennington vs Manchester

I like Manchester better than Bennington. Yes, there is a lot of shopping in Manchester but so what. It also has Hildene which is a must see there and Mt Equinox. You don't have to go. Rather you can visit Grafton, Dorset and other quaint villages. Drive up 100 to Weston and Vt Country Store., etc

Reply to: Bennington vs Manchester
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted