We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving/relocating

cincinnati ohio
7 posts
Save Topic
Moving/relocating

My husband and I and our two kids (ages 4 and 2) are moving to OC in the next year from Cincinnati OH. I have not been to OC yet. I would greatly appreciate any advice on what areas are the best and what areas to stay away from when considering cities to move to. I would like an area that is family friendly but still in a great location. Also, where are the main attractions in OC ex/best dining, shopping?

Where are the best schools (private)?

I appreciate any feed back!

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving/relocating

Hello, 12kavo, and welcome to the Orange County forum.

Your question has to do with moving and relocating to the area, and not touring and visiting, which is what we're all about here at TripAdvisor. For an excellent site that I've found helpful in the past on these kind of questions - what's an area like, what areas to avoid, etc. - I recommend this site: http://www.city-data.com/. They have a forums for cities all over the United States and beyond. I'm giving you a link to City-Data's Orange County forum here: www.city-data.com/forum/orange-county/. If you are not already a member there, it's easy to join up to participate in their forums.

Mission Viejo is a great family friendly place in south county. There are others, of course, but that will give you a starting point.

Here's a link on private Christian schools in Orange County: usachurch.com/california/…schools.htm

Hoping you have a good relocation and find the information you need for you and your family.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,017 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving/relocating

The main atrractions in OC are the theme parks and the beaches. Both the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim and the Knott's Berry Farm Resort in Buena Park have long histories and have been beloved and visited by generations of OC residents (as well as other So Cal "locals"). Both also have shopping and dining areas that are free to enter. Downtown Disney is a more recent and more upscale area than Knott's Market Place, which is more of a country type setting with a small handfull of gift stores and the famous chicken dinner restaurant that began it all in the 40's. (By the way, the theme park is marketed towards those who love thrill rides, but it is actually a family park with variety.) On the same street as Knott's there are two fun dinner theater "experiences".

Beaches include Balboa Pier (often recommended for visits with children) and Newport Pier, both in the City of Newport Beach on a penninsula, Corona Del Mar, Huntington Beach (aka "Surf City", with area's biggest Fourth of July celebrations), and the City of Laguna Beach with some of the most beautiful beaches in So Cal and the annual Pagent of the Masters.

There are many places to shop in OC, including South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island and other malls. Many great places to dine. There is a great performing arts theater in Costa Mesa. In Anaheim there is major league baseball (Angels) and NHL. There is a Presidential Library in Yorba Linda (east of Anaheim) and near there, a large nature preserve. There is the historic Mission San Juan Capistrano in the city of the same name. Just outside of OC to the north is Long Beach with the Aquarium of the Pacific and the Queen Mary.

In my opinion, the best place to live would be one that fits your budget and your lifestyle yet does not cause you a long commute for work. My personal choice, if I could, might be Irvine or Foothill Ranch. Visit Wikipedia for details on OC cities.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,017 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving/relocating

I believe our site rules say it is all right to post aboutrelocating as long as it for advice on getting the "lay of the land" and we are not recommending houses, apartments, etc. I've seen this kind of post in other forums, such as SF, SD, and LA. So I think wie will be okay.

City Data is an excellent referral. I also suggested Wikipedia because of the variety if information on cities and counties, including history.

One thing to keep in mind is the public transportation, though available, is not the same as some large cities on other states and there can be some traffic issues. So you would want to consider the convenience of getting around from where you settle high on your list.

I would also consider what areas may be vulnerable to wildfires before purchasing a home.