We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental villa or apartment in orange county

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rental villa or apartment in orange county

Hi,

I need recommendation about rental apartment or villa for our summer vacation. what trust worthy rental company is recommended? for example, oakwood? others?

We are looking for a gated community with very clean, preferable new furnished 2 or 3 bedroom unit. Our aim to visit the Los Angeles attractions and beaches. We have a car, so we can live in Newport Beach, Irvine, Costa Mesa, or other alternatives,

thank you

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental villa or apartment in orange county

You can probably find something better than an Oakwood short term rental by scanning options at VRBO

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…orange-county

Of the cities you listed, your choices will be best if

Newport if you want to be by the water

Irvine if you want the nicest home for the money

Costa Mesa- hmmmm Cant think of a reason to choose CM, hmmmm unless you knew each neighnorhood well, too many potential negatives

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental villa or apartment in orange county

thank you for your reply. No, I do not know the neighborhood well. I visited them briefly. I was just guessing the name of the cities that could be close to everything.

Thank you again for your post, I'll be focusing on Irvine and Newport.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,204 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental villa or apartment in orange county

Costa Mesa could be an absolutely wonderful choice. I would pick it over Irvine in a minute. As with ANY city, including Newport Beach, there are some areas better than others. However, with your criteria as stated, I think you will be able to screen out any undesirable areas. And if you find a potential candidate and wish to post it on this board, we can comment on it's location.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental villa or apartment in orange county

First of all, it would help to know :

--your budget

--how long you need the location for

--how many people are in your party

--what you would like to do when you aren't visiting LA

--any interest in visiting San Diego? just slightly longer drive than to LA but OC is a great 'jumping off' spot for one of America's most beautiful cities.

There is plenty of 'corporate' housing or apartments that offer furnished rentals in the area but they often require a full month rental.

I agree with Cats that many areas of Costa Mesa would be good choices. I find Irvine boring, but maybe that's just me.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental villa or apartment in orange county

There is another option, and that are Extended Stay Hotels (aka Apartment Hotel). These are basically a short term Apartment rental, the rooms come with a full kitchen and dishes, pots, pans, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apartment_hotel

Plenty of different chains offer these, quite a few are in the Anaheim/Garden Grove area.

Just a word of warning there is a chain called "Extended Stay Hotels", which IMHO is a very basic option, basic Motel 6 places with a kitchen. Residence Inn is well known, but check the link above for different options.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental villa or apartment in orange county

I've stayed at a couple of Extended Hotels and I agree with Darkbeer that they are a very, very basic option. Personally, I didn't enjoy them nor would I recommend them.

Once again, we don't know how many in your party or their ages or your budget but Marriott's Residence Inns are a solid choice, with free breakfast and some night/week manger hosted food and wine get togethers, full kitchen, and variable floor plans (depending on where you stay) they can be very nice. There is one in Costa Mesa, about 5 minutes to South Coast Plaza and 10 minutes to Newport Beach. Easy access to the freeway whether you want to go to LA or the beach.

Edited: 16 January 2012, 22:33
Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental villa or apartment in orange county

Lolo: I have some thoughts about certain rental places that might meet your needs but I'm not quite sure what your needs are in terms 'of everthing'.

Please give us more information and the people here will be able to make better recommendations for you.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental villa or apartment in orange county

Thanks everybody for your prompt replies.

Here is more info: we are a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids, ages: 13,11, and 8)

We also plan to visit San Diego, so, we don't mind the long drive. Our main concern is to have a cozy, secure, very clean unit to come back to after a long day of activities. we are planning to stay one month only. The way I have been searching, I end up with high end resort pricing, and I want to avoid this by finding a suitable price villa or apartment through the rental companies. thanks

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,204 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental villa or apartment in orange county

There are several options that might meet your needs on the TA/Flipkey Vacation Rentals site tripadvisor.com/VacationRentals-g659482-Revi…

For instance -- This one in Dana Point: tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g32279-…

Edited: 17 January 2012, 07:03
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,204 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental villa or apartment in orange county

This one is also in a gated community: tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g32279-…

Dana Point is a convenient location with good freeway access to get anywhere you want to go.