We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canyons in April - which to choose?

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
328 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
canyons in April - which to choose?

Hi,

we would like to travel for a week in the great nature, and we new to the area.

The Grand Canyon in Arizona VS Yosemite NP - which is more beautiful, which has more sites to visit...

we know you cannot compare between those two amazing places, but if you have only one week to go from Orange county -what willl you choose and why?

also please advise if there are any nice places to see on the way to the parks, this also can help us to decide and arrange the trip plan

and last thing - can we go to any of them by RV? is weather would be good enough for camping?

all the best

Tal

Edited: 21 February 2012, 02:28
San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,043 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: canyons in April - which to choose?

Both the Grand Canyon and Yosemite Valley will still be cold in April; the rim of the Grand Canyon averages a daily high of 52 and a nightly low of 26 in April, while Yosemite Valley averages a high of 65 and a low of 37.

So Yosemite Valley is a bit warmer than the Grand Canyon in April, but current weather could change all that, such as a spring storm. But it's not going to be hot at either place; in fact if you choose the Grand Canyon it's going to be pretty cold there. If you hike down into the canyon it will get slightly warmer as you go lower, but it's still not going to be warm.

I don't think it's possible to say whether Yosemite or Grand Canyon is more beautiful. They are both beautiful in their own ways, and beauty is subjective. Personally I think Yosemite is better, but that's my own opinion and not necessarily the same as anyone else's.

One disadvantage of going to Yosemite in April is that not all park roads are open; Tioga Road, Glacier Point Road and possibly the road to Mariposa Grove could still be closed. That would limit the areas of the park you could reach by car. You will certainly be able to visit Yosemite Valley, and April is the beginning of the season when the waterfalls are at their peak flow.

With a full week, I don't know if I would spend the entire week at either park in April. I would probably do one of the following:

- A trip that included both Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks and Yosemite National Park. A spring storm that leaves snow or ice on the roads could mean chains will be required on the tires of your car in those parks.

- A trip that included Death Valley National Park, Lone Pine, California and possibly Las Vegas, Nevada if that interests you.

- A trip that included Grand Canyon National Park, Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park - though all 3 will be cold in April. There could be snow or ice on the ground as well, if a storm comes through right before or during your visit.

- A trip that included Joshua Tree National Park, the the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway and Mount San Jacinto State Park, the Antelope Valley California Poppy State Natural Reserve, or possibly Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.

The reason for going to Death Valley, Joshua Tree or Anza-Borrego in April would be to see wildflowers in bloom at any of those parks, as April is the peak of the bloom season. This year has seen low rainfall, so the flowers are not going to be at their best this year, but there will still be some.

A fifth possibility would be to drive up the coast of California, through San Luis Obispo, Cambria, San Simeon, Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey and Santa Cruz, and see some of the sights in that area. If that interests you, take a look at this gallery of photos with captions, posted by another member of this forum: https://picasaweb.google.com/Mjneenan/Califo…

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,017 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: canyons in April - which to choose?

Interesting question and answer. When I saw this topic line in the Orange County Forum I assumed the question would be about the canyons in Orange County or on the border of the county.. The appropriate forums would be the ones where you wish to visit or the Road Trip Forum.

Edited: 21 February 2012, 04:39
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
328 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: canyons in April - which to choose?

thank you so much bw92116 , for your generously profound reply and for your precious ideas for our trip.

we will definitely will take in account all of them.

your great help and concern is most appreciated.

god bless you - Tal

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
328 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: canyons in April - which to choose?

thank you RedlandsRedhe... i will write in those forums as you suggested.

it is a fine idea,

all the best - Tal

5. Re: canyons in April - which to choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 03:40