We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting out into nature

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
58 posts
236 reviews
Save Topic
Getting out into nature

Is there anywhere in the Greater LA/OC metro area to day trip into some natural beauty, someplace that is not all built up? I have a great need to find someplace with trees and silence.

thanks!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting out into nature

I like the Cleveland National Forest area (Trabuco), just east of San Juan Capristrano.

examiner.com/article/the-cleveland-national-…

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_National_Forest

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting out into nature

Here is a good list of many parks in the OC...

http://www.visittheoc.com/oc_outdoors.html

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting out into nature

In San Diego County there is a nice area among the trees called Mount Laguna in the Cleveland National Forest:

http://www.lagunamountain.com/

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting out into nature

How about san onofre state beach, or the reserve in Laguna.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting out into nature

The OP mentioned Trees, so I don't think they are looking for a beach. More like a National Forest setting....

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting out into nature

You might want to consider O'Neill Regional Park, off either Santiago Canyon or El Toro Rd.. Lots of hiking and biking trails as well as camp sites. I took one of their guided nature walks and thought it was really interesting.

www.ocparks.com/oneillpark/default.asp…

Now if you only have a couple of hours, being that you are in Fullerton, there are a few places you can go that are a bit "woodsy"....like Laguna Lake, just off Bastanchury, yes there are houses around but it really is peaceful. Or take a walk around the interior of Hillcrest Park. Yes, Hillcrest is in the middle of the city but there are some secluded spots to just sit and relax, as well. Or if you like cycling, try the trails that wind through the city.

...just a couple of ideas :)

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,515 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting out into nature

The Donna O'Neill land conservancy is east of San Clemente, but accessed via a locked gate off hwy 74 just outside San Juan Capistrano.

They have programs for kidsand adults, during the day, and some night time astronomy events. I did an after Thankgiving hike out there a year or two ago.It was pretty informative.

www.theconservancy.org

During the wetter months you could head out to Holy Jim near Trabuco to check out the waterfalls.

Edited: 24 July 2012, 05:35
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,515 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting out into nature

You can also look into a couple of books detailing hikes in the area.

Look for Afoot and Afield in Orange County and Afoot and Afield in San Diego County. Both are written by Jerry Schad.

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
58 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting out into nature

Thank you for your suggestions, I am looking for somewhere without houses and traffic noise, in my book man-made parks and green spaces are nice, but not nature as they are not well, natural : ) Also I do want the green trees- I have been to most of the places mentioned, but there were a couple I have not yet tried.

Thanks everyone

10. Re: Getting out into nature

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2013, 10:15