We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon advice required!!!

Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon advice required!!!

Hello

I am looking for help in deciding the last part if our honeymoon! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Itinery - NYC for 3 nights then fly to San Fran for 3. Then drive down to Santa Barbara for one night, LA for 2, then we cannot decide whether to stay in OC or San Diego for 3 nights before we head to Vegas for 5 nights before heading home.

For the 3 nights in either OC or San Diego we want it to be relatively relaxing on a beach and be in an area with nice bars/restaurants and a bit of nightlife.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,468 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon advice required!!!

Both San Diego and Orange County beaches are fun areas to spend time in. Please read about Laguna Beach as it would be one suggestion. la Jolla in San Diego would be another

Just want to relax humm perhaps Laguna

Now please read the TOP questions on the Ca forum on the hwy 1 drive too long a drive from SF to SB. No interest in Monterey or the Bog Sur?

Edited: 19 October 2013, 09:56
Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon advice required!!!

Thank u for that. Our travel agent did suggest Monterey but she said we would probably enjoy other places better?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,468 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon advice required!!!

Travel agent . Well do read that top question in the CA forum about travel agents. Most have never visited the area and have no clue and we hear of many horror stories

Please do some reading to get info on the big Sur here on TA and you can decide These itinineraries are. Est planned in that forum than in this county forum

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon advice required!!!

Better stay Cambria between SF and LA but an extra day between those cities is recommended. Cambria makes a nice location for a honeymoon. Try Moonstone beach. And another vote for Laguna beach for a stay.

Tet

Level Contributor
36,202 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon advice required!!!

Laguna Beach would be wonderful for a honeymoon stay! With a high budget, The Montage Resort is amazing. There are many choices for lodging in this beautiful area for all budgets. Have fun! :)

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,393 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon advice required!!!

If you can tell us what your budget is, we can give you better advice. I don't recommend starting out a marriage in debt so unless you have an unlimited budget I wouldn't get your heart set on the Montage.

Since you say you would like to be in an area with nice bars and restaurants and a bit of nightlife, and you want to relax on the beach, you might want to consider the Huntington Beach Hyatt Regency, Waterfront Hilton or Shorebreak Hotel in HB, or in San Diego, perhaps the LaJolla area. The Estancia and La Valencia Hotels are beautiful and are in the middle of a wonderful village with excellent restaurants, etc.

Laguna Beach is beautiful but it may be a little staid for you. There are many good restaurants and bars, however. I would recommend an ocean view room at the Inn at Laguna or the Surf and Sand, both of which are walking distance to Laguna Beach village.

You are targeting beautiful locations, except Las Vegas. Why are you scheduling the most time there?

And please -- You will not endear yourself to locals by "nicknaming" their cities. It's San Francisco, not San Fran. Locals refer to it as "The City" but "San Fran' or Frisco will send bristles up. And count me among those who will turn and run if you dare to call our state "Cali!" ;-)

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon advice required!!!

for the drive south from San Francisco, you'd probably do better to spend the night in the town of Cambria, which is a lot closer to the half way point between SF and LA than Santa Barbara is, and so makes for a better split of the drive. You can easily spend a few hours in Santa Barbara on the way down from Cambria if you choose.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,393 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon advice required!!!

I agree with MachThree. Cambria is a lovely place to stop. There are many romantic inns and some good restaurants. The rugged coast is gorgeous. It is a 4 hour drive from Los Angeles. Santa Barbara is good for lunch.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon advice required!!!

Actually, I would stay in the Monterey/Carmel area the first night and enjoy the romantic and pretty town of Carmel, and visit Point Lobos State Reserve for some beautiful views of the ocean and the sea life.

Then the next day take your time driving down the beautiful coast through Big Sur to Cambria for the second night. As recommended stay on Moonstone Beach in Cambria where you will have lovely views and a boardwalk to stroll on as the sun sets.

Then on to LA.

If this pushes your time I would take a day from Las Vegas. Three of those are enough, if not too many, for me.

Congratulaions on your marriage and have a lovely honeymoon.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,393 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon advice required!!!

I agree Puter. I used to live in Las Vegas and still have friends there to visit. And even with that, three days is more than enough there. But visitors from the UK and Australia seem to have a fascination with it and think it is the ultimate destination. Las Vegas gets a LOT of advertising hype overseas and it pays off.